If you use Cloth Diapers...

Okay, so I need some help here. I am allergic to Chlorine and part of the reason I switched to cloth with this baby was because of the chemicals in the disposables. BUT, I simply can't figure out how to keep them from getting stained. Whenever she poops I take the diaper in to the bathroom and scrub it out by hand as much as I can, but I can't seem to get all the poop out no matter what I try and now they are starting to have stains even after they are washed. She's only 5 weeks old so she still has the yellowish watery poop... What am I doing wrong here? Is there something I can add to the wash that will help keep them white that's not Chlorine?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• you can try sunning them...just take them outside to dry in the sun...it doesnt have to be really sunny to do this. I'm sure there are other things that can help as well...hopefully someone else can answer this for you.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I use Borax, that's my only suggestion. Or oxyclean.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I actually soak them in the borax or oxyclean, with a little soap through the day, then wash them once the babies are in bed.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yeah, I've heard of that too. BUT, my DH is really against the cloth diapers and even more against putting clothing outside like that - he won't even let me have a laundry line in the summer. Plus it's -4* right now, the stuff would all just freeze...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Oxyclean always got out the baby poop for me. But I also used regular detergent so that might have made a difference, I doubt it had chlorine in it though. I never used chlorine bleach.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I use very HOT water to clean off the poopie and then soak in bucket of soapy water until I have enough to do load in the washer. I've never had an issue with staining. What kind of diapers are you using?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• BACK IN MY DAY OF CLOTH DIAPERS WE KEPT DREFT FLAKE SOAP IN THE DIAPER PAIL WITH SOME BLEACH. Some stains never come out depending on the formula. We only had ivory flakes and dreft flakes and roman cleanser (bleach) and they stayed pure white. But the diapers of today are not the same. The cloth was so big you could fold them to fit from a preemie to a 3 year old if need be. Not the little thin junky ones of today. I also had 2 sone allergic to the perfume in the throw away diapers. Ihad to buy the cheapest ones you could find with no perfume so they wouldn't break out.
    Today they also have different detergents and oxy clean. not sure if they would work better though. I use the oxy clean in my whites and colors to keep them ince looking. but I am now 71 and dont' need protection like the babies. Good luck
    KONILE8939

Answer by KONILE8939 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My husband thinks that it's stupid that cloth diapers or any diapers in general are white. Why make something white that is going to get pooped on everyday? At first I sunned them, but now I just don't care. They're just going to get pooped on again and who is going to see it anyway? I've also noticed that after the first few months, her poop stopped staining the diapers. For some reason those couple of months stained them and I exclusively BF, so I don't know what that was about. Now, she is on solids and it rarely stains. Sometimes after she eats black beans or something like that, but normally it doesn't stain.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Try soaking them in cold water before washing them. Do you have a diaper sprayer? If you are "scrubbing" them you are literally scrubbing the poop into the diaper. Instead use a sprayer to get poopies off.

Do not use the oxiclean on a regular basis. This will damage the diaper and make them repel instead of soaking up the urine which then can cause rashes.

My wash routine is as follows:
    I spray all poop off and put them in a pail. I wash them every other to every third day. I soak them in a cold water wash first. If they're really bad I'll do an overnight soak in hot water. Then I run them in the wash w a very small amount of tide free (powder) and no fabric softener. Again, this will make them repel as well. Make sure to set your wash to a double rinse.

Sun is very effective in getting stains out as well as a natural disinfectant. Yes, in the winter it is hard to get the stains out . Should you choose
    matu4

Answer by matu4 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• to use oxiclean, use it sparingly and use it as an overnight soak. You can try bleach, but if you use it too much it will ruin the PUL on your diapers/covers, so again use it sparingly.

What cloth diapers are you using? Some manufacturers have specific instructions on getting the poo out. There are biodegradable liners you can use (like the kind in G diapers) that you can just flush after a poop.

I'm trying to think of other ways. Check out diaperpin.com she has a lot of recommendations. also have you gone to diaperswappers.com? there are a lot of helpful mama's on the board there.
    matu4

Answer by matu4 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2011