Periods after weaning

How many of you had irregular periods after breasfeeding? I weaned my son at 13 months which was almost (3 months ago) I have had two periods 40 days apart. I OPK every day and my first cycle my luteal phase was only 10 days and my second cycle my luteal phase was 12 days long.

So I figured my cycle this month might be 40 days apart as well (would be due 1/30/11). I thought I may have ovulated earlier because I did OPKs and had six days where my OPK had a dark almost positive second line. On the seventh day it was very light again. So I chose the darkest one to do my days past ovulation count. According to that one i am 15 dpo but I had a negative hpt. Even though if my period followed the same pattern as the last two it wouldn't be due until 1/30/11 I opk the rest of this time but they were negative.

I have had fuller breasts that are off and on tender the entire time with some pulling and tugging cramps occasionally. I do not know what to think.

Maybe I didn't ovulate at all.

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I forgot to say not that it matters that i have a lot more dark blue veins on my breasts as well.
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• What matters is your age and your bodyfat%

Lots of women ovulate without a bleed, sometimes several times. But the older you are, and the higher your bodyfat%, the less likely you're ovulating regularly to start with.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• OPKs simply CANNOT be used to determine DPO. They are too inaccurate and they don't detect the actual ovulation. They detect the LH surge that happen before hand. OPKs also can in NO WAY confirm ovulation so even though you are having positive OPKs that does NOT mean that you are ACTUALLY ovulating.

Linda is incorrect though. If you ovulate you WILL have a period. That is a scientific fact. You CAN however have anovulatory bleeding without ovulating.

You can also ovulate regularly without issues even if you have a weight issue. Too much or too little body fat CAN pose an issue but that doesn't mean it WILL.

NOW TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION:

YES!! It's COMPLETELY normal to have long or irregular cycles within a few months of weaning. You may have high levels of prolactin in your system still. You can take Fertility Blend or Vitex to raise progesterone levels and help regulate your cycle more.

GOOD LUCK!

Anonymous

• I am taking vitex and b6. The reason I trusted the OPK in the first place was because for the last 6 months I have used them every day all negative. I weaned my son and finally got a positive one and exactly 11 days later had a period, the next month I got what I considered a posiitve and exactly 12 days later had a period...so I don't know...Since my first two periods were 40 days part does that mean this one should be? Is there no way to tell if I am ovulating?
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The only way to tell FOR SURE that you are ovulating is by charting BBT. The ONLY other ways to determine if you are ovulating is blood work 7 days after you think you've ovulated and daily ultra sound, both of which can be expensive.

A BBT thermomet cost 10 bucks. The book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility is about 10 bucks online.

By purchasing both of those you can save a TON of inaccurate OPKs.

You can detect ovulation, CONFIRM ovulation, determine if you have a luteal phase defect (a short LP), and much more.

You might actually have a LPD (which is NOT uncommon for the first few months after weaning) since you are getting your period 11-12 days after a positive OPK because you don't typically ovulate until 12-36 hours after the positive test which means your LP could actually be 9-10 days which is TOO SHORT to substain a pregnancy.

If you want to get pregnant quickly, charting is the way to go. SO EASY!!
    Anonymous

• Maggie I am in the same boat. I have had three cycles since weaning, 32 days, 28 days and 24 days. I failed to conceive in all three. I charted last one and think I am ovulating. Can you give us an update?

It only took one try with my first child so I'm anxious and impatient!
    Beanck

Answer by Beanck at 10:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2011