Help with this please?

I am TERRIFIED of dentists. Literally, terrified. I've been to a dentist 4 times in my life, I took care of my teeth really well so I wouldn't have to go ever but I still had to go for my first filling at age 30! I managed to avoid it till then....I know I will have to go again soon and my knees get weak and I feel like throwing up..:( What can I do to get over this? I am thinking that soon I will have to take my 15 month DD to the dentist and just thinking about it makes me queasy....Has anyone been like this? What can I do? What did YOU do? Thanks !

Marianne140

Asked by Marianne140 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• Sounds like dentaphobia. I have it. Talk to your dentist and explain to them the level of fear. Most likely if they attempt to give you Novocaine, you'll burn through it because of the fear. They have other ways of helping. TWILIGHT SLEEP!! <~~` I cannot stress that enough. Ask for twilight sleep. If they don't offer it. Find someone who will. NEVER go to a dentist if they are not sincerely listening to your fear.

GL
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 1:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I, too, am terrified of the dentist! I avoid it like the plague.....for myself. But I started my kids when the pediatrician told me to and they went every six months like clockwork ever since, and they don't mind the dentist at all.
    As for you, they have dentists who specialize in phobic adults and can give you a calming pill first.
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 3:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Call 800 DENTIST and let them know what your fears are and they will hook you up with one that has gentle tools. My husband had really bad experiences from childhood where he went through alot of pain for not taking care of his teeth. The dentist they gave him has quiet tools and really great hair side matter. He was a little anxious but after the first visit he was getting a little better.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 3:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• yeah, i know the fears - don't like it either always the same story. The teeth will fall out.
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 4:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011