How can I stop procrastinating?

For the past several years I have become a huge procrastinator and I want to find ways to motivate myself. I used to go to bed at about 10pm and wake up at 5am, but now I am finding it hard to get up early to handle business. I get up early to get my daughter ready for school, but I procrastinate during the day. I know it's best to do things early in the day, but how can I motivate myself?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I've had to make a list of 'to do' items, and at the bottom I give myself a reward - a nice soak in a bubble bath?! some quiet time and a bit of reading?? I heard a great quote about procrastination recently - 'Procrastinate procrastination! Get stuff done now!' It makes me chuckle when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to do things. :) I like the idea of using a timer - and tackle small things first so that you feel accomplished and will feel more like taking on the big things! Good luck!
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I really like Rita Emmett, the author of The Procrastinator's Handbook.

She talks a lot about the source of procrastination, which I find really motivating... and reminds me of my aunt's kitchen sign:

Done is better than perfect.

Perfection gets in the way of a lot of what we do, even when we think or feel we're trying to avoid failure. The urge to avoid failure is nothing more or less than an expectation that perfection is the only success possible.

Oh, and the answer to procrastination is to stop reading this, get up and do one thing that has been bugging you --set a timer and stop, no matter how close to finished you are, after 20 minutes. You can manage 20 minutes, right?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'll look into the book, thanks. I'm not a perfectionist, though, so that is not the issue, I just got kind of lazy throughout the years.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011