Eating Disorders? What to do? adult content

Have any of you struggled with one and how do you keep from getting back into the bad habit?

TiggerNemo

Asked by TiggerNemo at 1:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• I don't have personal experience, but I have a friend who's an overeater. He told me that it's a difficult thing to deal with as you have to eat. If you're an alcoholic, you can cut out alcohol 100% and be OK. As far as therapists go, often you need to see a few before you find the right one - I looked at it a lot like dating. I dealt with infertility for many years and it was all-consuming. The best advice I got was to try to limit these all-consuming thoughts to an hour or so each day. Let's say you pick from 3 - 4 pm every day as your time to dwell on your bad habit. Limiting it to that one hour makes it a lot smaller bad habit to deal with. When your thoughts move to that bad area, you say to yourself, now is not the time I've scheduled to deal with this. I'll think about this from 3 - 4.

I hope this helps.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No, I haven't. I think all you really can do is go to counseling for it.
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have.. its a constant struggle I think.. I have never seeked counseling or talked about it but I fight it daily so I can be healthy for my son.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If you have an eating disorder, I don't think that is considered a "bad habit". It's a serious condition that requires some sort of therapy, whether it be one-on-one counseling or group therapy. If you're struggling with a disorder, you should try to get help as soon as possible.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• dont go to group therapy, studies have shown that it is more harmful than helpful because it gives people ideas on how to be sneakier and "better" at it... try one on one therapy
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Stop talking about food and weight. Stop acting like they're the most important thing in the room.

Love. Support. Kindness. Generosity. Helpfulness. Listening. Patience. Fun.

Do things that you would do for anyone you love, and do things you would do with anyone you love. One of the problems for disordered eaters is that their disease becomes their Label to most people, and the cease being seen as whole people.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• LindaClement... I don't think about food all the time and it is not the most important thing in my room. I came here to get positive reinforcement on how to stay away from it. It is a control thing for me, and it is situational ( one thing I can control when I feel out of control). I went to a therapist that my friend recommended in college and he was the worst thing that couldve ever happened.
    TiggerNemo

Comment by TiggerNemo (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• ...so I thought I would get on here and see if there was anyone else struggling and how they were coping.
    TiggerNemo

Comment by TiggerNemo (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011