My 6 year old does great in school grade wise, but all of his conduct marks come from talking too much!!!!! I have tried talking to him, but it's not working. Anyone have some suggestions?!?!?!!???

ILoveMyBoys2011

Asked by ILoveMyBoys2011 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The lead question homeschoolers get, after 'is that legal' is:

What about socialization?

Isn't he supposed to be socializing? Isn't that what the place is for?

I would suggest practicing with him 'speaking so quietly that only the person you're talking to can hear you' because 99% of the problem, from a teacher's pov, is the disruption.

Then, of course, you might like his perspective on it: is he singled out? Often individual children disliked by the teacher get written up about the same things other kids do far more often, or he's getting caught answering someone who isn't getting in trouble, or the teacher NEVER picks on the girls for this...

There is more going on in that classroom than your son could describe in 5 hours a night. Expect it to be a LOT more complex than the reports indicate.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have asked him if he was the only one getting marks, and if the teacher was maybe being mean and he usually tells me no. But I know he might not want to tell me the whole truth, cause he might think he's in trouble. I try to talk with him, but he seems distant when i bring it up.
    ILoveMyBoys2011

Comment by ILoveMyBoys2011 (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• that's a bit normal to the age too. Over the summer you may see a big growth, if not, talk to the teacher about what she may recommend to help him in areas of when to talk and when to listen.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I hope it gets better. But if not, I will talk to his teacher and see what she has to say. Thank you for ur comments and advice. :D
    ILoveMyBoys2011

Comment by ILoveMyBoys2011 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Maybe he's anxious - especially if he is being singled out as being a "trouble maker". Talk to the school psychologist or social worker. Esp if he is doing well academically, he may just need some help with how to behave in class.

He's only 6 - it is so hard for boys to adjust to school.

I hope things get better for him!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011