My DD's put foot in mouth, and paid for it.

I have two DD's ages 20 and 17. I also have two DS's aged 4 and 5. My girls love the babies. They have a million terms of endearment for them. One of them is "Chubby Cubby" like Pooh Bear. So, we were in our local Walmart, and they saw a little one picking out candy...and commented to one another.."oh, look at the little chubby cubby picking out his treat....then realised, the little one was over weight. The mom heard them and yelled "Shut the F--k up! My girls were horrified, they felt really really bad. They did not mean anything to be mean, just that he was cute. I told them I knew they were trying to be nice, and didn't even notice mom near by, but I guess they need to watch what they say in the future. I guess it is sad when you have to tell your kids to think before being nice. Was this really that bad? Did her comment justify the girls comment? I am sure the girls struck a nerve, but it was not intended that way.

salexander

Asked by salexander at 1:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Just for Fun

• They called him chubby? Lol. Mean
    Anonymous

• Insensitive, rather than cute, frankly. Any 20yo who grew up in our size-obsessed culture has to be aware of that.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• As I stated, they call my boys chubby cubby, its for the Winnie the Pooh song...my boys are not over weight, it is a term of endearment to them.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Ha ha ha! That is hilarious! I mean obviously not for the the mom of the children, but for you who knew what they meant. And it is a great lesson for them, your girls, I bet they think before speaking next time. It happens to all of us at some point, so it is better that it happen now, then later when something big is on the mine.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Appearance related remarks would not be something I would allow in my home..so it would not be something they were okay with saying. Your girls were way out of line.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes, the comment was that bad, but it did not merit the f-bomb. If I was the parent of the overweight child, I would have likely not said anything, but would most certainly given your girls "the look" and walked away.

It really is bad form to use terms of endearment (although this is a really bad one) on a stranger.

I would talk to your girls about this so they don't embarrass themselves or hurt anyone else.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Sadly they saw he was over weight after the comment was made between them. There was no malice involved towards the boy. Just a case of foot in mouth gone really bad.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My husband is the king of the foot in the mouth disease, so I tend to find hilarity in his embarrassment.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If the other mom is that sensitive about her kid's weight maybe she should worry about that issue and not a cute name. It's not like the girls pointed and laughed and called him a fatass. I do agree there is a lesson in think before speak, but it's funny in my book.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 1:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think as it is cute for them to call there brothers that, certainly not anyone else. Besides, that name is something special for the boys, it shouldn't be ''special'' w/ anyone else =) I could understand the other parent's point of view, but saying "shut the f*ck up" was totally uncalled for! I would have simply explained to the parent that the name is used for there brother, calling him cute not overweight, and left it at that. Being your girls are 17 and 20, I think they should know better. But, i thought the story was a little funny LOL! i've put my own foot in my mouth a couple of times.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2011