Does anyone have any advice on how to get my 5 month old son to sleep in his crib.

When he was first born i was so excited and i was breast feeding that i got him used to sleeping on top of me and now i can;t get him to sleep at all without having to lay down with him on top of me. This has been really hard on me because i can't get anything done around the fouse and i never get a break while he is asleep because he is asleep on me.

peagle28

Asked by peagle28 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would suggest one of those sound machines that has the sound of the heartbeat. it's most likely the sound of your heartbeat that the baby is missing
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Get anything done while he's awake. At this point, your body is still recovering from the pregnancy --even if it doesn't feel like it-- and you need rest during the day when you can get it.

Get a baby wrap or a carrier that you find comfortable (lots of places will let you try before you buy) and do things with him strapped on when he's awake. You'll maximize your sleep, and he'll develop better balance and coordination: just from being carried instead of layed on things.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It will take a while. I have one of those sound machines, I love it, well my 15m old loves it LOL Also run a ran in his room? Remember, his entire short little life that is how it's been, just continue to lay him down. Try to give him a few minutes to calm himself, then sooth him by rubbing his back. I still have to do that to my 15m old. I laid both my babies on their sides with a positioner or their stomachs (the horror, I did that some think, but that is how everyone did it back in the day) But he will adjust. Just keep at it. They do get used to eating and laying down. I rocked my first one to sleep, and he was a horrible one to get to sleep then for a long time. I learned a hard lesson, like you are, and didn't make that mistake with the next one LOL
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 1:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Start by putting him to sleep on you and then TRANSFERING him to the bed so that he can get used to the bed. After he gets used to the bed and is sleeping the bed all night THEN you can work on getting him to fall asleep in his bed on his own.

I'm going through the same thing right now...I FEEL YOUR PAIN! Just remember all things will pass and he will eventually be sleeping in his own bed.
    Anonymous

• there is a machine that mimick heartsounds get one and put him to sleep on you then in his crib wiht the machine. Hopefully he will be glad for the room to move that he will not mine.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 3:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• try getting a shirt that smells like you and lay it down in his bed..he'll be mad at first but be consistent he'll get used to his bed! also the sound machine works wonders, my 10 month old loves it!
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 3:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm having a hard time getting my almost 6 month old in his crib too. He sleeps in his carseat right now! I don't know why he won't sleep....he slept in a bassinet just fine, i moved him to his crib and he slept fine for about a week and then began waking multiple times during the night. i started swinging him to sleep in his carseat and thats the only place he'll sleep at night. :( I'm not sure what to do either! The transfer move doesn't work for me so i can't suggest that to you...maybe the sound machine will work. I also liked the t-shirt idea.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011