How should we file?

My husband and I were seperated last year. Should we file seperate or together. I worked only 4 months making less than 6000. He made roughly 28000. We have 3 children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think since you are not legally divorced you have to file together. Not sure though. I would ask an accountant.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 2:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• You can file married filing separately, but you will see a larger return if you file jointly.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• xxlil is right. You will probably see more if you file jointly and then split the refund. Of course if he owes taxes and you don't that might not be worth it. Run the numbers to see what would be the best option.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It's easier to file jointly. Plus since you were never legally divorced or anything it shouldn't cause problems.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 4:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It generally would make more sense to file jointly. But it may worth your while to run the numbers as married filing separately.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011