Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How should we file?

My husband and I were seperated last year. Should we file seperate or together. I worked only 4 months making less than 6000. He made roughly 28000. We have 3 children.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • I think since you are not legally divorced you have to file together. Not sure though. I would ask an accountant.

    Answer by Snewo at 2:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • You can file married filing separately, but you will see a larger return if you file jointly.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • xxlil is right. You will probably see more if you file jointly and then split the refund. Of course if he owes taxes and you don't that might not be worth it. Run the numbers to see what would be the best option.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • It's easier to file jointly. Plus since you were never legally divorced or anything it shouldn't cause problems.

    Answer by ajbrownies at 4:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • It generally would make more sense to file jointly. But it may worth your while to run the numbers as married filing separately.

    Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.