Thoughts on creationism

I recently was watching the show about the family will 17 kids, they were talking about going to the creationism museum, and at some point they claimed that the world was created only 6000 years ago...
my question is for those who believe in creationism, how do you explain the fossilized remains of dinosaurs and other evidnece of evolution etc? I am legitimately curious, this is not a bash against your beliefs...

KEHMom

Asked by KEHMom at 9:37 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I saw that show too and almost posted something just like this!!! :)

I believe in both Creationism and Evolution. I do believe God started it all into motion... then the evolution happened. No I don't think the world is 6000 years old. I have a very scientific way of thinking and I cannot just disregard the scientific proof that the planet is older than 6000 years.

one thing about the museum that confused me was... they do believe the ape evolved into many species but man was just a straight line... how can they pick and choose what evolved and what didn't?

while I understand that the bible says 6 days... did God have a watch? maybe his time is different than ours... a year could be a second to him.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Umm this is waht they believe about fossils ...

"that is the mass burial of the former world in the Great Flood of 4,400 years ago."

http://www.creationism.org/topbar/fossils.htm
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I'm not sure how long ago the earth was actually created. Some people believe in the literal "6 days of creation" and some believe that when God created everything, time didn't exist yet so it could have been a thousand years between each thing. Scientists come up with answers based on the best evidence they have. Does that make it accurate? Not always.

I'm just not sure where I stand on this issue right now.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Maybe I don't have a good answer for you, lol. I guess my thinking on it is, how do we know the aging that scientists/archaeologists use is correct? No one was THERE, right? I really don't believe there can be an actual HUMAN date put on it.. and my take on it is, does it matter? I don't mean that in a rude way. If you want to debate something, I guess it does, but if you believe God created everything, does it matter when and how he did it? If you believe in evolution, does it matter if it happened in one Big Bang or over gazillions of years? Or what if you believe a little of both? God/someone/something set things in motion-- we don't know how long it took. I just think it's all rather marvelous--I don't really care if it was 6000 years of 60000000000 years.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I believe in creationism but not the traditional version that is currently being taught. I believe that there was a first earth age that was created millions of years ago. Science confirms that the earth is this old. The Bible and science do not disagree. Then God destroyed the earth because of satan's rebellion. The traditional thought is Genesis 1: 1,2 are the beginning of creation when actually this is speaking of a world that was destroyed. For further information on how the Bible and science completely agree about creation see http://www.biblestudysite.com/begin.htm
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 12:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I have heard that there is a question about the time between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2. What was talked about is the earth as we know it now. Nothing is said about the possibility of there being another time when there could have been another civilization here. Nothing was said about us being the first and only. Cain got his wife from somewhere, and she wasn't his sister...

I believe in Creationism, but the answer could lie there...
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• luvmybabieskna, I believe what you are referring to is talked about in Isaiah, but I could have the wrong book. I agree with you. Something is said there about Lucifer ruling, and we know he didn't rule the earth as we know it now. So, something had to have existed before the 6 days of Creation. Besides, in the Garden, the devil was already a serpent. He had to have fallen at some point.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008