High blood pressure at today's appointment

So, my blood pressure was high at my appointment an hour ago. The nurse checked it twice and took a urine sample for testing for proteins (I've been through this once before, but it resulted last time in an emergency c-section..) There was no protein in my urine, but my blood pressure's still high. What can I do besides lay on my left side to help reduce it.

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 2:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Mine always did this and to be honest it's because they made my big butt waddle down a freaking maze of a hallway to get to the office after getting all the way up to the second floor. I was tired and my heart was thumping. lol Not too mention they kept the office too warm, imo and that would get my pressure up also.

What I did at the appointments when I had the time beforehand was get there about 10 minutes early and just rest in the waiting room. Then my BP would be around 112/55 which is pretty normal for me. As long as your urine is protein free chances are you may be experiencing what I did.

So just try to relax as much as you can throughout the day to keep your heart rate and BP down.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I had that problem, too. Jogging across the parking lot because I was usually late didn't help! *LOL* But I started drinking more water and cut salt out of my diet. That made the biggest difference, I think. Plus? My ankles NEVER swelled. I didn't have near the water retention issues that a lot of my friends have had. It was hard to omit the salt, but I'm glad I did it.
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 2:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I take blood pressure medication even now while I am pregnant , it's (Methyldopa/Aldomet). It's the only safe BP med you can take during pregnancy. Maybe they will put you on it. What did to Dr. say?
    Anonymous

• ~*Relax*~... mine is naturally low but when I am stressed out it will be "normal"... can spike off fear alone, them as trained medical professional know this and should be asking you to calm down??? If you'd been through something like that before than the idea of it happening again could cause the whle thing you just went through
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Mine is a bit high, so I was told to start hitting the protein hard, up around 90 to 100 grams per day. It's supposed to help!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011