Trying to get my seven year old to eat healthier......

My seven year old son is sooooooooo picky. Worse than I was. Any suggestions on maybe getting him to eat better. I have tried cooking in the kitchen and shopping etc., together but it didn't last long.....

AmI88

Asked by AmI88 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just never by junk food for the home and when you are cooking get him to help.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Have already been doing that and it doesnt help.
    AmI88

Comment by AmI88 (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Don't let 7yos buy the groceries or plan the meals or snacks in you home. Then free them to eat as much of whatever you've determined to be 'acceptable food' as there is until there isn't any left, and stop talking about it all the time. Don't run to the store 'just in case'... children do starve themselves to death, but that's suicide not picky eating. Generally, they have to be abuse survivors in the order of Jeffery Dahlmer before they try killing themselves before they're 10.

Picky eaters are made, not born. Everywhere else in the world, if a child wants to skip a meal adults shake their heads in amazement and eat the rest of what there is. That teaches children an important lesson: eat or go hungry, your choice.

No child will die as a result of missing a week's meals. Really --not even a whole week.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• jWow....your answer is pretty warped and I plan my meals and do the shopping. Thank you!
    AmI88

Comment by AmI88 (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• As long as you have only healthy foods available, then you are doing your job. Let him decide which and how much he will eat. I've been there, I know it's hard. The hardest thing for me was to not comment on what he ate or didn't eat, and not saying anything when I wanted to encourage him to eat. But as he got a little older, it got better. He was a healthy weight. Now he's grown, and eats a lot of junk food, and has gained a lot of weight. Oh well.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My son is the same way and yes he would rather skip meals then eat what I put in front of him. He is 4. I don't buy junk food at all either. I was also very picker. And I don't believe picky eaters are "made". If I'm forced to eat a food I don't like I will throw up from the nasty taste, I can't force myself to swallow it. My son eats about 5 foods and that's it. Vegetables and fruit are not part of it. But He likes things like spaghetti and meatballs, so I will buy whole grain noodles and I found a new sauce that has hidden veggies in it. So just foods like that I can sneak veggies into helps alot.
    anna_mccall

Answer by anna_mccall at 3:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• try letting him choose the recipe. But make things fun like fruits and dip or vegs with dip. Also if food is not working maybe a vitamin to go with dinner or even those ensure drinks will give him what he is missing. Mine are picky eaters but they go through stages. watching rachael ray and about picky eaters and she will link to her website about info on the show. Might check it out.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Linda is soooooooooo wrong!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I am not sure if she meant all that as it totally came across after she typed it, but it is pretty out there.....
    AmI88

Comment by AmI88 (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• well if hes that picky that hes not getting all the nutrition he needs you could add pediasure to his diet
    ShhhItsASecret

Answer by ShhhItsASecret at 8:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2011