Can certain yoga poses hurt my unborn baby?

I am 16 weeks pregnant, and I am taking this great beginners yoga class at school. I am not showing yet... but I am worried some of these poses/stretches that squish my tummy are also squishing my baby! We do the eagle pose, where we twist up our arms and legs and touch elbows to knees, and many different stretches on our bellys, or pulling our knees to our chest, or try to put our legs behind our heads...and I am sure there is more to come. I don't want to hurt the baby....

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 2:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• At the stage you are in you aren't going to squish the baby, but you could be reducing blood flow to your uterus. Tell your instructor, yoga is still very healthy for you when you are pregnant! It helps with a lot of the aches and pains that will come. Yoga instrutors know the benefits of prenatal yoga and will probably recommend modifications that you can do. Also talk to your midwife/doctor and see what they say- if there are any restrictions or position they want you to avoid.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• This will not hurt your baby, it will though give you the flexibility to cope with the coming birth.

Answer by older at 2:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If I were you I would research "prenatal yoga poses" then you can see which ones will always be ok and then you can eliminate the ones that will be troublesome once you are farther along in your pregnancy. Good luck!
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I wish I had time to do yoga now. But of course I don't. I'm in a very different place in life than a newly pregnant mom. I am in my 40's and my kids are in elementary and junior high, and I work full time in a professional career that sucks the life out of me daily. I did however do yoga as a newly married person. Especially with myf irst born. He had lots of pre-natal yoga. I was told at that time "just dont do any yoga poses on your belly". So he is 14 and sweet, and cares for his sisters well, and smart and handsome. And I love watching him grow up. I did yoga with him until about 20 weeks.
    Sara-Amelia

Answer by Sara-Amelia at 2:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• do you want the honest to god truth. the only thing that will hurt your baby is someone using your stomach as a punching bag. i did the hard workouts and ab workouts every single day of my entire pregnancy
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Right now not much can harm your baby as far as excersise goes. However, as you get further along you will need to eliminate some of the poses. Do your research online about safe Yoga and pilates during pregnancy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Ask your yoga instructor if you are concerned.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I am in a mommy Yoga class where things are taken alot more cautious because our balances are a little off. We do all that a normal class does just are very slow to do it and if something feels weird we stop and take breaks. Yoga is a good way to keep your body flexable and prepare you for labor.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 3:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011