How do you potty train a 3-1/2 year old little boy?

have tried cherioes in the toliet, dad taking him in to go, sitting on the bathroom floor while he's on the toliet, I am running out of ideas and patients right now.

D.Kennedy1988

Asked by D.Kennedy1988 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• take a weekend or 3 days is better if you dont work throw all the diapers in the garbage and let him see you do it and tell him no more baby pants!!! make him sit on the potty every 30- 45 mins DO NOT PUT A DIAPER ON HIM IN THESE ENTIRE 3 DAYS buy a plastic cover for his bed.... you will have messes to clean up here and there but he should get the picture after a few days of this he will know the diapers are gone and that he doesnt like to be sitting in wet and poopy underwear!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I had to let my son come to it on his own. No amount of cajoling, bribing, screaming , punishments or anything like that would work. He had to decide thta he wanted to do it. And yesterday and today he has decided that pooping in the potty is a good thing. If he understands the concept I say let go for a while and just prompt him every 45min - hour to go try.
    Shmop

Answer by Shmop at 1:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2008