how do you handle days like this?

Today has been an awful day with my toddler. I work at an in home daycare where i cant separate the kids if they are acting up or mean to the other kids bc its such a small home. Well my son comes with me to work and usually does so well but today he constantly was hurting another kid by hitting with a play car or pushing them. i tried time out laying him down even a spanking and i was just done by the second hr we were there. i was bawling bc i didnt know what else to do bc i was so frustrated.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• So, to teach a toddler not to hit people, you hit him?

Interesting choice.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• When my son, who is 2 1/2 got to the point that TO wasn't working....and spanking wasn't working either....I started to take his current favorite toy. He got a warning, then one TO in the corner, then next time he did that behavior he lost the toy for the day. But I also at the same time started giving way more positive praise than I typically had.
    Remember, everyone has a bad day, they just can't express what's wrong.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If he isn't normally like that then he probably doesn't feel good. Sounds like he just wants to be left alone.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If the child can't tell you whats wrong with them, and the child isn't normally a bad child, inflicting pain isn't going to work, nor is it fair to the child.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• sounds like he might be missing you and even watching other kids for a living it is hard on your kid. I am sure he might also just wanted quiet time for himself as well. Just give him a little extra one on one time and see if that helps.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• is there anyway toput up a round pen child gated thingy? ya know what i mean? i think theyre called play yards? maybe he needs a little more mommy time. can u find a few minutes to just play with him? i think its jealously, especially if it isn't a normal for him.
    and theres nothing wrong with a light spank when you think they need it. but in this case i think maybe spanking won't work, he trying to tell you something......
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011