Going Crazy (VENT)

My DIL has had a cracked wrist for about 3 mo's now. The first time the Dr put a cast on her arm for 6 weeks. The next visit he put a splint on for three weeks, she went back today and he put another cast on? She claims she just isn't getting the proper nutrition! I buy all the groceries. If I buy a gallon of milk it is gone the same day. She and my son munch on cereal ....I'm just so pissed right now. They spend all there money on BS like cigarettes and WOW ...amazing how she can play WOW with that stupid cast on. Then come back to me like I'm starving her and depriving her of calcium....The girl is like 29 yrs old! Doesn't work..doesn't do crap.....The one thing I do ask for is help keeping the house clean.....I'm sorry to vent. I just can't believe she has the nerve to blame me for her inability to eat right!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• Bad news, honey: although there is in fact a huge amount of calcium in cow's milk, what there is not is magnesium, so it's not possible to absorb. The reason the dietary guidelines say 'so much calcium' is BECAUSE the calcium in milk is hard to absorb --so the number is inflated because the people who wrote the guideline are the same people who sell the milk. Magical.

If your daughter is smoking, not exercising, and hoping to get all her nutritional needs met with cereal, she's probably at least anorexic, if not actually osteoporatic --she probably has the bones of a 70yo. Ask her doc to do a DEXA scan to prove it to her.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes, I do believe it is time for her take responsibility for her own life....It sounds like it is true that she doesn't have proper nutirition....but that is her choice and has nothing to do with you (I know you know this).....AND if she is playing on the computer, that will contribute to her wrist not healing...not to mention her lack of fresh air and sunshine, and not working......Perhaps you can demand that they pay you some money towards groceries? Stop allowing them to take advantage of you....you aren't doing either one any favors.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Excuse me, shes an Adult! She doesnt need you to take care of her. What you do is already more that enough, she cant blame you. I would have told her that. If she was a minor would be a different story but shes a grown up woman and that for many years now, she can have her own resources and own house or apartment.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 2:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Seriously? She's 29 for christ's sake!!! KICK HER OUT!!!! She's a grown up and by the sounds of it wants to mooch off of you so she can play her bs game of WoW and smoke. Huh, I say give her 30 days notice and tell her either shape up or ship out at the end of the 30 days notice. If she doesn't want to eat like a big girl then that's HER problem. EIther she'll shape up and change or she'll get kicked out and lead a miserable life because she doesn't want to eat right. HER problem NOT YOURS. Good luck
    Bird16_J

Answer by Bird16_J at 2:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• She's playing the blame game. She's an adult. Does she need you to feed her like she's a baby bird? I would ignore her.
    HappyGirl44

Answer by HappyGirl44 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Why are you buying their groceries? Tell her to help out around the house of get out. Puh-lease! 29yo and she doesn't do a thing! That girl needs to grow up.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If she's calcium deprived, why hasn't her doctor put her on a prescription? I'm sorry but I've never heard of a doctor saying you aren't healing correctly because of a deficiency of vitamins and NOT prescribe them or at least tell her she needs to start taking this or that. It sounds like you are getting walked on momma, time to let the kids learn how to be adults, even if it is giving them a list of things that needs to be done around the house so you get a break. I don't know the situation that has them there so I'm not going to tell ya to kick them out. But they can be live in housekeepers and groundskeepers considering you are supporting them.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:00 AM on Jan. 26, 2011