Religious beliefs.

Do you ever find that some religious people get offended when your views are different than theirs? Everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions, but why is it that if a person isn't religious they are made to feel like they are living in sin and therefore hell-bound? I am not a religious person, but that doesn't mean that I am a bad person. I don't get it really.

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Religion fascinates me. I'm amazed that Christians can sit and tell anyone they will burn in hell. I was raised Christian, so I know what I was raised with (and what I believe in now). My comment/question is this....When God did the whole separation thing at the Tower of Babel, did he seriously not know that he would also separate religions? I thought in the Christian faith that God knew everything??? IF that's the case, then didn't he know right then and there that everyone would have to find their own path of faith, even if it was to have none. I don't believe telling anyone what they believe, or disbelieve in is right or wrong. .... and sometimes I think it's just to have something to argue about.... If there is a hell, then I guess more of us will be hanging out there gossiping and wishing for ice water than those that are in heaven drinking it.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Well, part of the problem is when the response to the dialogue appears to end in an unspoken 'you idiot.' Which is pretty common.

One of my favourite bumper stickers is: It's your hell, you burn in it.

Since I don't believe in hell at all, they can threaten me with it all they like... whatever makes them feel like tolerant, respectful human beings, really....
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• to me religion is a personal issue and ive always found that the people who feel the need to go out of their way to hold themselves up as such devout christians are the people you have to watch your back around
    karen40b42day

Answer by karen40b42day at 3:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• That has been my experience with many (not all) religious people as well. I do find that there are many religious people who are secure in their beliefs and aren't afraid to question what they believe or have been taught, and those people tend to act less threatened by differences and are actually curious about other perspectives and respectful of others. It seems like some people get defensive about differences very quickly, and I do wonder if they are afraid of what will happen if they do start asking questions. For those of us who have views that are pretty inclusive and pluralistic, other people expressing their ideas or perspectives on religious topics are not particularly threatening. At least, we're not going to be defensive unless someone tries to us we're wrong to think what we do or pushes their ideas on us--and we're 'stupid' or 'evil' to believe otherwise. Discussion / friendly debate of ideas is good though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I really don't understand why they get their knickers in a twist, it's not like my atheism is contagious.  I think it must be the conflict in philosophies.  Mine is "live and let live" and Christianity is "do as I say not as I do".

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• They are wrong. That's all there is too it. They just don't know they are wrong, and don't even realize they are being self-righteous. It makes them feel good about themselves at the expense of others. I'm only guessing here.....But as they grow and mature, I have noticed that people become less self-righteous and judgemental of others.....There are exceptions because due to willful ignorance not everyone matures...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• You are not living in sin. And you will find people like this everywhere,maybe they should stop being hypocrites & realize that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs & way of life but is that going to happen? NO

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 2:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I've been told the fact I don't believe in a God is offensive.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

Offensive to whom? Unless you're a god, how could it be offensive?

SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I know exactly what your talking about. And I agree with LindaClement there always seems to be the unspoken "you idiot" to the end of their response. Ugh. It's so frustrating! Don't worry about it though. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and beliefs. Just take it with a grain of salt.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2011