Any1 have a child who still wets the bed at 7 yrs old (eves only)?

My son sleeps like the DEAD. When I try to wake him mid-night to go, its like dragging a doll. I tried the bedwetting alarm - so loud it work us up downstairs, when we got to his room, there he is sleeping with the damn thing going off right at his ear! I just want to know if any1 has a real solution to this.

thx

Lynne

tialynne99

Asked by tialynne99 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• nope! my 9 yo is the same way!!peds doc just keeps saying eventurally he will grow out of it! he pees before bedtime and everything!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 2:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My babies dad did this. He had an actual physical problem, they too did the wetting alarm. Maybe tell your doctor you want further testing done?? He outgrew it, when the rest of his body caught up to that aspect of his physical system.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Diapers.

For the same reason elderly and handicapped incontinent people wear diapers (because it's easier than washing bedding and destroying mattresses) anyone of any age who does not regularly and routinely use the toilet in all living circumstances needs to wear diapers when appropriate. If there wasn't this huge cultural shame about Being a Baby... which is inexplicable to me: what, precisely, is wrong with being a baby?!?

Anyhow; until his kidneys concentrate urine while he's sleeping (a feat that many bodies don't manage until puberty), he needs diapers. The adult ones are super-absorbent and slim-line... unless he likes Spongebob pullups.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My son did until he was 14. there is really nothing you can do. His body has to mature. Buy the Goodnights.
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 8 yrs old and up until a week ago she still wore pull ups at night and wet them every night. She is like your son that she is a dead sleeper. When we went to the Dr. in Nov. for her check up i asked the Dr again about it and he suggested the alarm and if that didnt work we would talk about putting her on medication.
    i never got around to getting the alarm, i guess i just got used to her using pull ups.
    Well last week i kept forgetting to get her more pull ups, i told her to not drink after 6pm, go to the bathroom before bed and put a towel on her bed. I have no idea why but she hasnt wet her bed in a week.

I am sorry i am not much help but wanted you to know your child isnt the only one. Also my nephew wore pull ups till he was 11 yrs.
    spagal99

Answer by spagal99 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I answered a question like this earlier:

You need to take him to the doc. Bed wetting runs in my family. I am not ashamed to say I didn't stop until I was 12. It's embarrasing and when you have a parent who makes the issue hard to deal with ... it causes damage. My problem was I slept, hard. So deep in sleep I never felt the sensation that I needed to pee.

I was never put on medication. My dad (doc.), never put me in pull ups or anything. He did everything he could to protect the mattress, but when I woke up in the mornings, if I did go on myself he simply told me to get cleaned up and ready for breakfast. No disappointment in his voice, nothing just his reg. self.

Even now when I get preggo there are times where I still have an accident.

My dad was a bed wetter, my bother, I was and 2 of my boys are.
    Yes he will grow out of it.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 2:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My girls age 6 still wets the bed but has bladder and kidney problems. doctor says she might out grow it but if in doubt might what to see if any of problems with bladder or kidneys. But I am sure kids will out grow it since our doctor is really not worried about it.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I hava thirteen year old who still wets the bed. The doctor that we took her to said that there could be a lot of things that can cause this to happen many children just have bladders that have no grown as quickly as their bodies have. And others have had some kind of traumtising event in their live that they are dealing with and this is sometimes hard for them to get over. We asked about adult diapers and pullups we were told that this does nothing for them it just teaches them to go in the daiper or pullup instead of getting up. I have found that the more they go to the bathroom before bed the less likey they are to wet the bed. The doctor also told us to cut the liquid intake they had to two oz's of liquid two hours before bed. I know that this is hard for busy families but it also helps. I hope this helps you out some. There is also medication that gels the urine in the bladder.
    crazyheart232

Answer by crazyheart232 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Nope. You just wait it out. My 9yo son and 8yo daughter both wet the bed (I also have 2 girls--10 and 4--that never wet the bed and have been dry at night since they were 2). They are both very deep sleepers and just don't wake up. My daughter can sleep through anything and is impossible to wake in the middle of the night. My son actually gets violent if you try and wake him up.
    So we just keep a stock of pull-ups on hand and deal. I don't believe in limiting drinks because that seems cruel. If I'm thirsty I get a drink and it seems cruel to be downing a glass of water after dinner when my kids are dying of thirst because they wet the bed. And waking them isn't an option (see above). They do use the bathroom several times before bed but it doesn't matter. My son mostly wets when he's been really active all day (super tired) but my dd soaks her pull-ups every night. I can't afford to wash their sheets every day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2011