How can tell if this child has autism?

He is 5 yrs old. Youngest in class. Is hurting others with little regret. He is very smart and keeps up with everything academically. Have tried everything. Teacher and administration diagnosed him as autistic... What?

Mommad1947

Asked by Mommad1947 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• the best way to tell if a child is autistic is to get them to a proper dr who has a degree and can properly diagnose him. a school can not do this. they can have an idea or a suspiscion but the only way to know for sure is to test...
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Take him to your dr and ask for a referral to a specialist. You need to have him tested to know.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 2:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Take him to a specialist.. Teachers can NOT diagnose your child.. That's labeling in my opinion..
    ObiRenKenobi

Answer by ObiRenKenobi at 2:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Take him to a doctor to have him evaluated. He maybe having other behavior problems. Best of luck to you :)
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I could be wrong, but teachers and the administration aren't allowed to diagnose a child with anything. They can tell you what they think the problem is. If you want a diagnosis your best bet is to get in to your pediatrician and talk it over with him/her. Good Luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• he could just be bored with the class and need to be placed else where or he could just be a mean child. if hes hurting other with little regret. this doe not mean autisim...
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Young children are extremely hard to place a label on, and than you set a child up to never go past a label... that in all honesty is usually WRONG!!! Any professional with two brain cells to rub together will not try and slap a baindaide on a problem, by placing labels, and than medicating them... I personally learned the hard way!!! My now 15 year old was just like the child you speak of, he went through various different labels, would intentionally do things, but was really book smart... it took me being forced into homeschooling, I honestly had him before that locked in a mental ward to get to the root of things, and they had 10 different doctors all come back and state that he was just slightly "Anti-social"?!?!?! Meaning all those different medications might have caused permanent damage!!! When he hit Jr. High he was like a whole new child, think it might have been the puberty? Don’t care, but he is an AWESOME kid
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My son when he was in kindergarten had the vocabulary of a college student... they tried an autism label because in kindergarten he had the vocabulary of a college student! Never mind the fact he had two well educated parents at home... I guess because we couldn't afford to place our son in a private school we're just white trash???

DO NOT... I repeat... DO NOT allow someone to slap a label on a kid that is not educated to do so!!! It was a teacher in first grade that thought she was a trained professional that got me running to Kaiser, which is such a crappy medical insurance to have (They hand you pills to get you out of their office instead of doing their jobs).... and it wasn't until we switched over to Sutter Health that my son was properly diagnosed... do not let a teacher medicate your kid because they can't handle doing the job/profession they are now stuck in!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• First of all, it is correct that teachers are not to diagnose a child. I am a teacher and learned this in college as well as by my employers. We can only suggest testing. I taught a whole kindergarten class full of children with autism at a school for autism...Here is what I would like to say: If those are the only warning signs your child has that resulted in the teacher saying this, I would be very upset if I were you. That is something no parent wants to hear and if those are the only signs, shame on them for putting such an unlikely thought into your head. Sounds like you have an aggressive child on your hand and at most maybe he can talk to a counselor about it to see why he is not feeling remorse as well as you talking to him about hurting others. Some of the children in our school are aggressive with no remorse, however this is one of the many symptoms they have, not the only. In my opinion, people are wrongly
    EllianasMama

Answer by EllianasMama at 2:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2011

• diagnosing autism and it has become more of a trend....much like adhd. I know many children legitimately have these disorders but I also have encountered many children at the school who were wrongly diagnosed as more of a cop out diagnoses.
    My suggestion: you child probably does not have autism, but if he does you want to get him intervention as soon as possible. Talk to the doctor about other symptoms to see if your child has them...Please assume he does not until proven otherwise. I think you would have known by now if he did. Talk to your child about aggression and seek counseling, counseling can never hurt!!
    these are just my opinions!!
    EllianasMama

Answer by EllianasMama at 2:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2011