s/o on toothpaste question ...

If the CDC made a statement that fluoride is toxic and doesn't protect teeth from cavities as once thought, would you find an alternative to brush your teeth with, or just keep on truckin' with what you have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• I would use a non-flouride toothpaste. There are a number of options out there.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Well I'm going to assume that they'd no longer allow fluoride in the toothpaste then....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I am pretty sure that the big name companies would start a huge ad campaign with there "New Improved Formula" without fluoride. They wouldn't want to lose the business. So I think that it would be pretty easy to switch.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 3:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The CDC gave you 1/2 the information.

Dihydrogen oxide is fatal in large doses, and there is no antidote. If it is inhaled it kills more than 95% of people. It is used by more than 83.5% of all violent criminals within 12 hours of committing crimes. It is unregulated and can be purchased by children of any age.

EVERYTHING is toxic in a large-enough dose. What is the dosage for toxicity? Is it the amount in 7 tubes of toothpaste?

Dihydrogen oxide is water.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• @Linda

.... I said "IF" for a reason ...... "IF the CDC made a statement that fluoride is toxic ..."

IF ... as in a hypothetical statement.

And yeah ... I know about "dihydrogen oxide" - I was AWAKE in chemistry 101 - in fact, I rather enjoyed chemistry.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I make my own toothpaste and health products....thesedays it's hard to trust anything
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• @Linda .... you also failed to notice the second part .... IF they made a statement stating that fluoride was not as effective at fighting cavities as once thought - would you switch?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i already use a non fluoride toothpaste! cuz i dont trust the gov! and im not taking any chances when it comes to my family!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011