How do i get my 4 month old baby girl to lay on her tummy?

Im a 1st time mom and i read that a few years ago it was ok to lay a baby on her tummy while she sleeps now they say not to and i quess i freaked out a little too much with thinking she could stop breathing if i left her on the belly, now she dose'nt even like to be on her belly for play time! what do i do?

MYA_MARIES_MOM

Asked by MYA_MARIES_MOM at 9:53 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try to make it fun, but don't stress if she doesn't do tummy time. Neither of my kids liked it, and they are fine. They were both late crawlers, but there is nothing wrong with that. DD crawled at 9 1/2 months, and was walking within 3 weeks. DS crawled at 11 mos, and now, at 15 mos, is almost ready to let go walking.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My first daughter also hated to be on her belly. She hated Tummy time and was also a late crawler. Now, you can't stop her from running around- so she's fine. The only way she would do tummy time is if I was on the floor with her playing with her. I also had to put a pillow under her chest so she wasn't totally flat on the floor. I read that babies like that because they can see up and around more. I used my boppy pillow for that a lot- or just any pillow would work. She still didn't like it too much- but I got her to do it for a while every day!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• get a boppy pillow to lay her on her tummy. lay down on your belly in front of her and play with her. start out with a few minutes and work your way up too more find ways to make it fun. but don't stress. hope this helps, good luck
    kristyann

Answer by kristyann at 12:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My daughter absolutely hated tummy time. The therapist told us we had to do it even if she screamed. We slowly adjusted her into it by starting out with 1 minute increments several times a day. We increased it every other day by 1 minute. We had a mini boppy pillow that helped also. Once her neck got stronger, she started to enjoy it more and we were able to take the boppy pillow away completely.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My son HATED being on his belly. He would occasionally take naps on his tummy, with us right there with him, but he hated tummy time. He was crawling at about 5 months, walking at 8 months. Your baby will let you know what she wants to do and when :o)
    krockwell

Answer by krockwell at 9:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2008