Is it normal for my 5 month old to eat 4 cantainers of baby food 3 bowls of cereal plus 4-5 6oz bottles of formula?

ledbetteramy

Asked by ledbetteramy at 3:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• per day? yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Only if it is a baby orca. :)

Only teasing you. That is a lot of food. I can see why you ask. Unfortunately, I don't have the best of answers. I'm assuming the baby eats that much because he/she is hungry...so I would say while it might not be normal for another baby, it is normal for yours. Best advice? Ask a doctor.

Sorry I can't help more. I know you're looking for a mom who had the same experience and everything was just fine. Hope you find her and the doc tells you not to worry.

Kids. They are always doing something to make you worry about them. *sigh*
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 3:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I was just looking through my baby book last night and I remember it said 3 servings of Veggies and or fruit a day. I THINK one serving was a small jar back then...can't remember. Then some cereal was included in that - maybe 1/2 cup?? I don't remember exactly...then it said formula was supposed to go down 20% from the infant servings. My little man was pretty happy with that and he was a bigger baby. Sorry I couldn't be more specific, too. :)

That does sound like a lot of food though...and I think maybe too much formula compared to how much food he's getting. But, like the previous mom said, ask your doctor. :)
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• (they should be able to answer this over the phone for you if you're child is a current patient)
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• That does seem like a lot of food for a 5 month old. If you are not sure, talk to your doctor and see what he or shes says. If not, I would consider giving the baby a little more cereal and a little less baby food.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 3:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would say yes, it's a lot. At that age, I wouldn't be doing any solids, but that's me. I also think that the amount of formula is not enough. Are you feeding solids AFTER a bottle? If not, you should be. I would aim for more formula and a bit less solids at this age. Can you give me a sample of your schedule/routine for feedings?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• In the morning we have a 6oz bottle then a bowl of cereal, then around lunch we have a 6oz bottle with a bowl of cereal then a veggie or fruit, mid-afternoon she has just a bottle then again at dinner she eats 2 containers of food, then bed time cereal and another bottle.!!! Thanks for all of your answers :)
    ledbetteramy

Comment by ledbetteramy (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• she also has a bottle with dinner!
    ledbetteramy

Comment by ledbetteramy (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• As long a the bottles are coming FIRST and never a bite of solids unless she's finished her bottle, you may be fine... though t strikes me as a lot too.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I agree that as long as she's getting the bottles right before the solids, it might be fine. Personally, I still can't imagine a 5 month old eating that much! How did you come to the point where you figured out how much solids to feed her? I'd aim for a minimum of 28 ounces of formula a day, and maybe offer a little less during the solid feeds, say 1/2 or 3/4 container instead of a whole one, and just see how it goes. I'm guessing her weight and overall health is fine, since you didn't mention otherwise. Typically, I suggest following baby's lead on solids, I'm just taken aback at the volume of solids she's eating! Maybe make the bottles an ounce or so larger, and she'll take in less solids. My concern is that she's possible not getting enough of what she needs since she's eating so much baby food, which doesn't contain much nutrition wise.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011