My teenage daughter has trouble sleeping at night-- what can I do?

melanie888

Asked by melanie888 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Do not give her melatonin. It is a chemical created by the body but if she is producing enough naturally and it is a external problem (stress, distractions, bad sleep routine) her body will stop making as much and she will be dependent on it. I don't produce enough naturally so I have to take a supplement but it does have side-effects. It causes stomach issues and I have occasional night terrors now.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 3:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I still can't sleep at night and it's been the same my entire life. My mother bought me a lavender pillow when I was a teenager that's not too strong and you just put a pillowcase over it and it helps you to fall asleep. Reading before bed, sounds obvious but really helps. Keep noise in the house to a minimum just during the first half hour-hour of her being in bed. I'm so jumpy in bed that every tiny noise wakes me up, as tyfry496 said I white noise/fan/any other type of noise blocker work well.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 3:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Falling asleep? She can try Melatonin. It's sold by the vitamins. It's a natural sleep aid. My son took it for a while. It works wonders.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Start by creating a routine at night. Turn off all electronics an hour before bedtime. Get her to drink chamomile tea and use lavender stuff before bed. (bath stuff or lotion). If that doesn't work take her to a sleep clinic. They will monitor her throughout the night.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 3:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• NO electronics, tv or computer for about an hour before she goes to bed. She needs to wind down. Have her take a warm bath or shower, get in bed and read for a little while. Make sure the room is at a comfortable temperature for her. I like it cold when I sleep and have trouble sleeping if a room is too hot. Run a fan or get a white noise machine to keep out noise in her room. Make sure the room is dark.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Give her melatonin. It's a mild naturally occurring hormone that is important to sleep. It really helps my son.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thanks for the help- we have tried many of those options, but I appreciate the new ones we have not tried
    melanie888

Comment by melanie888 (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have the same problem and have all my life. My oldest son also can not sleep at night, he takes forever to go to sleep and when he does he wakes up often in the middle of the night. We both have the hardest time with sleeping. Much of it for us is related to stress (although I'm bipolar and tend to have the inability to shut down my brain so I take ambien prescribed by psych).

I've found that reading does help me quite a bit. Reading by a lamp with other lights off and no noise. The other thing that helps me too is getting all my thoughts out and writing in a journal. Depending on what is keeping her up that might help.
    It could also be a physical issue that might need to be addressed with a doctor, you may want to talk to her doctor about this as well.

good luck, its so frustrating not being able to sleep.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011