I buy a little chiken (chic) for my daugher I put it in the big cage with water and food

MY 4 year girl wants to play with the chick around the house. What sould I do?

GlitteribonMom

Asked by GlitteribonMom at 3:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pets

• Why do you have a chicken in the house?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• A chicken should not be bought as a pet. Chickens are not meant to be a household pet. I really can't say what you should do other than get rid of the chic and get her a pet she can play with. A kitten or puppy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• butterflyblue19

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• lolol butterflyblue that was too much :p

i'm just wondering, why did you choose a chick? ive known people who had chickens in their back yards for the eggs but not as pets. maybe get her a bunny or gerbil?
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 4:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I talk to her right now and the cage is under the water proof courtain in the balcony and I said to her just look at the chik and take care of him .I dont want him indoor.
    GlitteribonMom

Comment by GlitteribonMom (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• We went with my grandfather to the farm store and she pick a $1.60 black and white chik I am observing the situation .
    GlitteribonMom

Comment by GlitteribonMom (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thats cute. I can understand why you would choose a chick. They are fun. I will say that they grow up and then require a bit of work (like any bird). I would designate a special area (say bathroom or a place with tile or a pet mat) for the play area. The chick will grow up- is your area okay with farm animals in town? some are okay with chickens (something you want to look into if you havent). Are you gonna want to take care of it when it is older? What are you going to do with it?
    When I was in elementary school we hatched chicks in our classroom and got to take them home if we wanted. They were alot of fun (we had them in the backyard). Once they started growing up though we donated them to a good friend and they went to live at her farm.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• my daugher choose it because we had one and is was like a pet. the chicken died. so we want to take care of him better. the cage is suficient big to run drink eat a and popu. so its funny because everybody saids they are going to do a chicken soup in 6 months. jaja
    GlitteribonMom

Comment by GlitteribonMom (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• when i was a kid i had chickens and chicks. outside. i pick a chick one day and played with a lot. dad bought me a small incubator and we hatched 2 . i had 1 my twin had 1. he slept with his and killed it by rolling over on it. i kept mine in a box by my bed. the 2 i had where the tamest chickens we had. i think it's ok to keep them inside when they are litle and cute. they are cleaner than a parrot. of course we put them out when they where big. i would walk outside and they would fly up on my shoulder. it was so cool. they make wonderful pets and do turkeys. my grandson is in 4-H chickens and turkeys. he always raises them in the house for the first few weeks. we let him and his younger brothers hold them. they have to set down and use two hands and we stay right there just incase. that is what makes them tame. they will follow you and chirp if they think you left them. your chick will be lonely if you don't let her hold it
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 6:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• A chic is a barn yard animal not a roomate.
    Anonymous