CAN YOU GO TO THE DENTIST WHILE YOUR PREGNANT?

rebma1218

Asked by rebma1218 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION IS YES. I AM 6WKS AND JUST WENT TO THE DENTIST. THEY CLEANED MY TEETH AND FOUND SOME CAVITIES. THE DENTIST TOLD ME THAT THEY WONT FILL THE CAVITIES UNTIL MY 2ND TRIMESTER BUT THAT TATAR BUILD UP IS NOT GOOD FOR THE BABY AND NEITHER IS THE POSSIBILITY OF INFECTION FROM THE CAVITY SO GET IN THERE.
    bekah211

Answer by bekah211 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I am in my 30th week. For the past 2 months I have had some major work done on my teeth, I had a root canal, 4 filling and a crown....yuck. But yes it is safe...just make sure they know you are pregnant!!!! There are some things they may choose to avoid like x-rays.
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Yes, and in fact dental health is very important during pregnancy.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• yes but i think if you are having dental surgery they ask that you hold that off - but if its a routine check up no big deal!
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 6:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Right, what they said, LOL. No x-rays, but a routine cleaning is good for mama, and baby too.
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 7:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• you are supposed to go to the dentist at least once while you're pregnant. let them know you are prego so they don't do the x-rays... there is some kind of gum disease they need to check for and if it goes un noticed it could cause complications to the baby. may wanna call and ask ur dentist and see what they say.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 8:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• When I was pregnant with my daughter I went to the dentist. It had been a long time since I was at one so they wanted to do xrays. I checked with my OBGYN and she said since it was my second trimester and the dentist said they would double shield me it was ok. My daughter is fine, no problems from it.

As long as you tell the dentist your pregnant they should avoid anything that they feel is harmful or they will have you check with your OB before doing anything.
    EthanEricasMom

Answer by EthanEricasMom at 9:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2008