Shingles (sp?)

what is it? My cousin just got it and I don't know how or if it spreads easy she says it doesn't?

twiggee

Asked by twiggee at 4:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• its a form of chicken pox. Comes from a herpes virus

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It's a form of chicken pox that is common in adults who have had c.p. They are blister looking spots most common along the lines of nerves, and it's extremely painful. It is contagious, when they are having an outbreak....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i heard its very contagious, my husband had it last year. i didnt get it though, but i did have it when i was 8 or 9
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 4:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• my aunt has had it and it is contagious but is most common in people who have had chicken pox as a child. It is painful, my aunt is a nurse and is still working, it is only contagious thru physical contact, not by breathing or just being around someone.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It is the same virus as chicken pox.

Answer by Bmat at 4:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It is a form of chicken pox that used to only be seen in adults but is now more frequently being seen in teens who have been vaccinated and not gotten wild chicken pox. It is very contagious but only be physical contact and it is very painful. My niece had it a year ago and was in horrible pain.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Shingles is a form of the herpes virus. You usually have to had chickenpox in order to get it. It causes small blisters to form on your skin (and you usually itch and/or have extreme pain where the blisters are). You can't get shingles from a person with shingles, but if you have not had chickenpox and come into contact with the blisters you can get chickenpox. The CDC has a good Web site about transmission here: http://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/transmission.html

jilby

Answer by jilby at 1:05 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Sometimes the pain never goes away
    Redbird26

Answer by Redbird26 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 19, 2011