when is a good time to start..

.. looking for a pediatrician? i am goin to be 23 weeks tomorrow.. when should i start searching? when did you, and did you have enough time or too much time?

1sttimemom2011

Asked by 1sttimemom2011 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I started interviewing Peds when I was about 35 weeks. When I met my DS Ped I just had a great feeling about her and still have her as his Ped to this day!!!
    XaviersMama311

Answer by XaviersMama311 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• About now would be a good time. You need to know who your pediatrian is going to be so they can check the baby at the hospital. Plus there is a check up a couple days after being released. Plus they evaluate everyday that you are in the hospital. Some hospitals have their own pediatrians but not always. You can check.
    -MidnightKarma-

Answer by -MidnightKarma- at 4:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I found one a month or two before delivery and it was plenty of time for me, but maybe I am not very picky. I asked my OBGYN for a recommendation, did a bit of research online and went to one visit at the office and that was it. I guess it was easier because I liked the first place I chose so I didn't have to keep searching. I would say start within the next month or so and then it's one less thing you have on your to-do list as your delivery date nears.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would start looking now. If you dont already have someone in mind it can be hard to find a good one. (I already had a good one in mind). This gives you time to take your time anc check some different ones out. Then you can meet with them and ask questions or interview the ones you like the best.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would start at least by the 3rd trimester. Go ahead and start scouting; see who's accepting new patients, who your insurance will cover, etc. Most pediatrician offices have free prenatal appointments available just for this purpose, since you want to have someone picked out by the time your baby's born, so they can be contacted as early as hospital check-ups (and baby might come early). Some offices do group meetings on certain nights of the week, some do individual appointments whenever's convenient for you (some do both, depending on what's better for you). Anyone who doesn't offer to let you meet with the pedi before birth should probably be avoided (unless you've heard absolutely rave reviews from several people). And keep in mind that even after you "officially" choose a pedi, it's not a contract saying you have to stick with them for the next 18 years; you can change whenever you want. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Time to talk to friends and neighbors and find out who is liked and so forth.

Answer by Bmat at 4:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I actually was very happy with our family doctor and asked if he took infants or would prefer I take them to a ped and he said he was fine with seeing them for the normal stuff and if he ever felt he couldn't handle something he would send me to a ped. My kids have been seeing the same doc as DH and I since they were born.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• starting asking moms you know and trust in your area now.... don't go and interview until close to 30 or more weeks good luck
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I was a little closer to my due date when I interviewed my ds's first ped. But I guess it wouldn't be too soon if you have many to interview!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2011