Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What Can I Do If My Mother Is Tryin To Sue Me For Grandparent Rights.

I'm 17 And Engaged And I Live With My Father. My Mom Lives About 20 Minutes Away And Shes Trying To Sue Me For Rights.. She Can Come See Her Anytime But I Just Dont Want Want My Daughter In That Enviornment.. What Can I Do Against Her In Court So She DOesnt Get Rights Because I'm Moving To Cali With My Boyfriend.. Thats Where He's Stationed.
Any Help Would Be Awesome.. Please No Bashing.

Answer Question

Asked by EmmiesMommy06 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 3 (20 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • Check your state laws. Not every state has the grandparent law.

    Answer by -MidnightKarma- at 4:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • Well, make sure you can prove you are a stable, responsible parent. Many moms of teen moms like to petition the court when they are concerned about the childs well being. If there is no reason to prove you aren't a competent parent then don't worry about it. Let her spend the $$ to file papers.
    But it just seems out there that a mom would just randomly sue her daughter for her child. But ya never know! If you can think it, it could happen!

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • I'd explain exactly why you don't want your daughter there. I mean there's a reason you aren't living there, so why? Id also make sure you have the proof you have the ability to take care of your dd, even once your in Cali.

    Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • If you have a valid reason why she is a bad environment for the child and you are a fit parent then don't worry.

    Answer by TaraK. at 4:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • Be upfront and honest with the judge... and explain about the upcoming move and how it is unfair to you to be forced to split up your family because your mother is using the courts to manipulate the situation?

    Answer by MommaClark3 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • Thanks Everyone.. I'm Not Living There Because She Liked To Fight With Me And She Likes To Smoke Pot.. So Thats That Reason.. And My Boyfriend Makes Enough Money To Support Us With Out Me Having A Job.. I Turn 18 In July And Thats When Ill Be Moving.. I Know My Daughter Will Be Taken Care Of.. Thats Never Been A Problem.. She Comes First No Matter What.

    Comment by EmmiesMommy06 (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • oh and my state does have that law.

    Comment by EmmiesMommy06 (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • I hope you can fight this in court, because your baby don't need to be going over to your mom's if your mom smokes pot.

    Answer by Honda309 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • :) Good luck hun!

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • Get solid evidence of her smoking pot & she will NEVER EVER get any rights.


    Answer by samurai_chica at 4:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.