Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know how I can get my 9 yr old son tested for Visual processing disorder?

I live in Louisiana and i was under the impression that his eye dr could do it but he doesn't so now i'm not sure?


Asked by harris4 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 18 (6,449 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Find yourself a competent developmental/behavioral optometrist (ours was a lifesaver); they can work wonders in this area. Check out the P.A.V.E. website:

    Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:09 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • Ask his eye Doc where to refer you i fhe doesnt do it

    Answer by madsmom314 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • I asked and he has no clue! Can't believe he is apparently incompetent!

    Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • Id have the pediatrition refer you to a specialist. Or the eye dr

    Answer by Steph319 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • I googled it and fount that it is linked to adhd/add. I would see a psychiatrist that specializes in this type of disorder. Talk to a special needs teacher. Maybe they can helf

    Answer by Steph319 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • found* help* cant type today! lol

    Answer by Steph319 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • It is more of a metal health issue than it is visual. Maybe thats why the eye dr couldnt help? GL

    Answer by Steph319 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • mental*

    Answer by Steph319 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

  • Good Luck

    Answer by grismelda at 4:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • Your son needs an occupational therapist. His pediatrician can give him a referral. They will test him for all types of processing disorders. You might also want to check out books and information related to sensory processing disorders. Most school districts also have programs to test children for processing disorders. Your school principal should be able to assist you if your school has a program. As a mother of a child with auditory processing disorder, I can tell you that occupational therapy does help and that it is NOT ADD or ADHD. It is also NOT a mental disorder. It is a physical "disability" that just means that information coming into the brain is processed differently and that, given appropriate stimulation (that does not require being medicated), a young child's brain can be taught how to compensate and to react appropriately.

    Answer by Baseballmom540 at 2:04 AM on Jan. 27, 2011