Nap time stubborness

My oldest stopped napping at 18 months or so and I'll be darned if my second is going to do the same thing. She just turned 2 in November and recently has taken to screaming for an hour before she falls asleep, if she falls asleep at all. How long do you leave your little ones in their room before caving? I really don't think she's ready to not have naps yet, more of a hope really- how did you wean yours from nap time?

ajbrownies

Asked by ajbrownies at 4:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My second gave up naps before a year.

My children were never welcome to cry by themselves.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Instead of insisting that she sleep, perhaps you could tell her she can play quietly in her room for a half hour or so.

Answer by Bmat at 4:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I let my son decide his sleep pattern and never forced him to nap. If I knew he was tired but he wouldn't lay down I would lay down myself and he would take a nap with me.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• CIO for any age is only 15 min. Try lying down with her to keep her calm. Making her scream like that isn't healthy for her
    Anonymous

• I don't make her scream. Sheesh. I lay her in a playpen and I go in and check on her after a few minutes to make sure she is ok. But she has toys in her crib with her. It's just some days she won't nap and other days she naps like an angel. I guess I could just keep her in her room. We have a gate so I could leave the door open. I am more worried that she still needs the sleep because on the days she doesn't nap it's not pretty.
    ajbrownies

Comment by ajbrownies (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i feel ya! is it doable to nap with her? but that may set a chain reaction for bed time to. but maybe a sometimes thing? letting her cyr it out is fine, but she may be even more tired later on. idk. nyquil?? j/k...:) if she takes an hour to fall asleep, maybe put her in an hour earlier?
    good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011