Breast Feeding ...

Once i give birth to my child i will breast feed so am i allowed to finally eat anything i want like sushi, fish,anything i want??? or no? and explain please

AliciaLamoreux

Asked by AliciaLamoreux at 4:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'd nix the sushi

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• yes. The only time you might want to consider changing your diet is if you notice something you are eating is bothering the baby. Sometimes things like caffeine, dairy, or foods that cause gas can be problems.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I love sushi. The only thing I have heard about restrictions on breastfeeding diet is that your baby is going to get a little bit of whatever you eat in the breastmilk, so if you have spicy food, the baby might get a little upset tummy from the spicy. I'm also planning on breastfeeding, and I'm just going to take it day by day and see how things go.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The reason not to eat (never-frozen) sushi is because it can pass on parasites. That's a pretty good reason to only ever choose sushi that has been frozen (unless you like the idea of parasites?)

The other stuff --soft cheeses, uncooked luncheon meats, etc., are to avoid listeria, which is a food borne bacteria that can cause miscarriages. Obviously, that risk has passed...

Otherwise, there is no food or beverage that cannot be eaten by breastfeeding mothers. Obviously, alcohol consumption should be kept to a minimum and then only with food, without the baby eating at the same time you're drinking (alcohol is in breastmilk within seconds of drinking it, and it's there until your body's cleared it).

If you notice a food upsets your baby, try leaving it out for a while and see if it seems to change. But women worldwide eat normally while breastfeeding without any problems.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i ate sushi while i was pregnant. so do lots of other women...its not harmful. i never restricted my diet. i ate a cold ball park frank right out of the package almost every day. all these food myths are stupid
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• No. Sushi and other undercooked/not cooked meats are not recommended as well as fish that could be high in mercury and some babies have issues with things like dairy or caffeine or gassy food. You are still nourishing your child with your body so you have to be somewhat careful. Not near as much as while pregnant, but a little bit.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If you want to eat sushi or sashimi I would go ahead...I think its better to expose your child to a little and there are studies to suggest its better too. I ate sashimi when I was pregnant and would have done while breastfeeding but turned vegan :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The only reason to modify your diet while breastfeeding is if something you eat adversely affects the baby, and there's no way to know that until it happens. Obviously there are certain things you should avoid just for your health, but nothing just because of baby (exceptions are alcohol and drugs, of course, which you shouldn't do anyway, but especially when nursing since it's passed on to baby).

There are some foods that have common adverse effects on babies, like caffeine and dairy, but not on all babies. And again, no way to know unless you try it. I avoided caffeine like the plague for my daughter's first 6 months, then unintentionally had some before I nursed her once, and it did nothing to her. I've had a Coke a day since then with no reaction from my daughter.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Besides obvious things like alcohol, it depends on your baby. Dairy is a good thing to leave out since it so frequently causes problems. It makes sense since our human bodies aren't designed to process milk made for baby cows. Spicy food is ok if your baby is ok but not ok if baby reacts. Nuts are ok if baby is ok but not if s/he is allergic. And so on. I can't say anything about the sushi. I've only had it once or twice since I've been breastfeeding (I avoid sea food in general cause of water pollution and I'm not a big fan of the taste) but I hadn't heard of any risks to that. You should look into it more. I've been breastfeeding for years and I eat what I want. My diet philosophy is pretty much just don't eat it if it's not real food. Natural, organic, unprocessed (or minimally) and without all those sweeteners, preservatives, and other additives. Of course this is good to do whether you're pregnant, breastfeeding, or none.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2011