Do you medicate your ADHD child?

My 13 yr old has severe ADHD along with several other disabilities and is on 4 different meds. We tried going med free but he simply cannot function without them. Do you medicate your child for ADHD? why or why not?

LadySaphira

Asked by LadySaphira at 4:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• my newphew they put him on it and he became sick and devloped a weird condition called EE and he was healty until he started those medications.
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I don't have a child old enough for that yet. However, I can tell you that as a child I was full of energy! I was just always ready to do something. I think my doctor mis diagnosed me with ADHD, and the meds turned me into a zombie. It made me not eat, sleep, or talk. i was just a shell. Because of this, I probably wouldn't let my son take meds for being a kid. To each his own though. Good Luck.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 4:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Well, yes my son takes ADD meds, but I wouldn''t go as far as calling it "medicating". I have always disliked that term. It comes along with the unfair stigma that if you give a child much needed meds that you are drugging him or making him a drooling zombie or something. My son does great on his meds and actually prefers to be on them. He does better in school.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If he can't function then medicate him. It has drawbacks (I am ADD so trust me I know them) but it is better than not functioning.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 4:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• yes my son is on some meds for adhd and i think it helps me and him....the meds just help him focus
    momofthree3g5m7

Answer by momofthree3g5m7 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Oh and remember it is a medical condition. You would medicate him if he had any other medical problem that wasn't going away on its own right?
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 4:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• wE HAVE 7 YEAR OLD THAT IS PDDNOS AND IS ALSO ADHD....WHEN WE STARTED THIS WHOLE THING WITH MEDS I DIDNOT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT....THEN I STARTED TO SEE HOW JOSEPH WAS HAVING TROUBLE DOING THE SIMPLIEST THINGS......SO WE TALKED TO HIS DOCTOR AND HE GUDIED US THOUGH ALL OF IT....JOSEPH IS ON THE LOWEST AMOUNT OF MEDS THAT WE CAN HAVE HIM ON,
    I JUST KEEP TELLING MYSELF THAT IT IS FOR HIM....HE NEEDS TO MAKE IT THOUGH! JOSEPH IS NOW A STRIGHT" A" STUDENT WHO CAN NOW MAKE FRIENDS AND PLAY SPORTS AND I LOVE WHEN I MEET A NEW PARENT AND THEY CAN'T BELEIVE THAT JOSEPH EVEN HAS ANY THING WRONG....IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE WE HAVE MADE THE BEST DECISION FOR JOSEPH!
    NIKKIJO4

Answer by NIKKIJO4 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I agree music mom..my son is still very active and is not a "zombie" on them. They do help him focus in school a lot. Before we decided to give him meds he couldn't sit for more than 5 minutes on a good day, now he can manage up to a hour at a time before he has to move. When he came to me one day and told me "My brain is running around in circles in my head all the time and it won't stop and let me think" and "When I sit still my skin feels itchy like it is going to crawl off" we decided to try out some medications. It took a bit of trial and error to find the right combination and dosages for him but the improvement in his behavior and ability to focus was worth it. He is much happier now and so are we because we are not constantly having to stress over him and worry about him hurting himself as much with the things he does.
    LadySaphira

Comment by LadySaphira (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My son William started on a medication called Vyvance last year. It has made a tremendous difference in his life. He is Asperger's and ADHD. He is in all regular classes and actually made the honor roll for the first time in his life.
    wdegroot

Answer by wdegroot at 4:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My son is also on Vyvanse wdegroot, along with Zoloft, risperidone, and melatonin. Before meds he would sleep a total of3 hours a night if we were lucky. He has PDD-NOS, SPD, anxiety, ADHD, and mild/moderate MR. I don't regret the decision to medicate at all!
    LadySaphira

Comment by LadySaphira (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2011