I know this isn't the "norm"....

But at what point do religious leaders stand up and say, "ya know what something is wrong here. Too many people are getting the wrong message here. God is to be a place of love and warmth and forgiveness." Do you think there is something wrong with the messages being sent out about the bible, god and how to treat our fellow creatures on this earth? Obviously this woman has a screw loose, but I've read too many stories about people like this who use their god and their beliefs as justification for their actions. Something has to change.

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Authorities have charged a South Carolina woman with felony animal cruelty, saying she hanged her nephew's pit bull from a tree with an electrical cord and burned its body because the dog chewed on her Bible.

Animal control officers said Monday that 65-year-old Miriam Smith told them she killed a female dog named Diamond because it was a "devil dog" and she worried it could harm neighborhood children. Authorities said bond wasn't immediately set for Smith, who remains jailed in Spartanburg County after her weekend arrest.

Officials said she didn't have an attorney yet.

She faces 180 days to five years in prison if convicted.

Authorities say the remains of the dog were found under a pile of grass with part of an electrical cord around its neck.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• No matter who stands up and says, ' this is wrong,' people are still going to use their religion as a scapegoat. No one is willing to take responsibility for their actions. people need to realize that God is love, not hate not evil, and regardless of others actions, we need to remain Christ-like.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Many have but some haven't gotten the message. Also, the actions of a single person don't reflect the church. Now if the whole church is practicing these things then it's a different story (think WBC). Her age and religious background probably play a part, but as I mentioned, many pastors know that these kinds of actions are not what the Father intends.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I don't know any religious leader, or person, that would condone that. She was unstable and is using religion as a scapegoat. It doesn't come from religion and there is nothing anyone could have done about it.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 4:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Also, I just wanted to add that I think it's very sad. i worked for 2 years at a Humane Society and I personally love Pit's! I think the media and society's view of Pit's probably played a large part in this as well.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• you're probably right kittieashy. (hey I have a kitty named ashie!) In regards to the pit bulls.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• That poor dog =( and her poor nephew. My Goddess! What is up with people now a days! It seems like you are hearing more and more of these crazy stupid sick misguided people out there. Doesn't matter what faith you follow (if any) wrong is wrong- don't try to blame it on your religon. Thats just a excuse.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Holy shit balls.... oh wait... don't let the crazy old bat know I said "HOLY shit balls"... you'll find me hanging from a tree, burnt and with an electrical cord around my neck next.

I think some people are just friggin crazy and want to try and justify their actions in whatever way they think they can... whether it be religious, social or whatever.

I hope she gets the 5 years in prison.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• ^^^^What she said!^^^
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I can't help but think back to those people who were so smugly screaming about how Christians don't freak out about a bible being mistreated, so why should a Muslim consider the desecration of the Quran offensive. Wonder if this lady was one of them...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• ..she might have been..but that doesn't change the fact she's crazy..nor can you blame her actions on her religious-beliefs. she's just plain crazy.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2011