Losing my job on purpose. Best choice or wrong wrong wrong??

I sold my boss on the idea of laying me off in a month. I don't have another job offer but this gives me unemployment while I look for part time work. My reason: My kids. My children really need me and I'm not even mentally available at work. I can't put my all into my career if I am not a mother first. My son is struggling and needs therapy, psychiatry, someone to stay on top of his school and medical treatment. I'd rather make less money and be there for him when he needs me the most than my current salary and not being available for even a parent/teacher conference. To top it off, I am under paid anyway and my boss is not very nice 90% of the time. He has made very inappropriate comments and has said harsh things to me and it has stressed me out to the point my dr gave me xanax which I only take when I am at work.

I am terrified. My mother is going to give me hell for this. My best friends and SO are happy for me and want to celebrate. My rent and utilities will be paid for since I have enough saved to last a long time. Otherwise, my budget will be very tight.

I feel like in this economy I almost have no right to back out and do this and this is an irresponsible choice. Is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you are your only source of income, I'd have had another job lined up before quitting the first. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 4:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Leaving my job was the best thing I ever did. I never saw my kids. I was a salon manager, and felt like a damn babysitter.. I realized they weren't paying me enough to be putting in all the effort I was putting in. I felt my kids deserved that more than the company. I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. I was burning out anyway. We are doing just fine.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Why tell your mother about it even? You are a grown woman and made this choice. If you find a new job soon then things will be fine if not then yeah it will have been the wrong decision. I understand your reasons and hope it works out though.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 4:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would do it in a HEARTBEAT if I could figure out how! I carry our health insurance and contribute to exactly half of the household income, so I don't think I could quit without some serious consequences. Your children come first and if you've figured out a way to be with them and also to be financially okay then go for it and don't look back!
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I like time to spend with my kids. Time will pass fast I think your ok and time will give you someting much better in the future. luck
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I left my job in 2004 without another one lined up. I actually walked off the job and never went back. I was sick and tired of being overworked and underpaid and my boss made me come into work a double on Easter knowing I requested it off and had kids. It was the best decision I EVER made. I went back to college, remarried and was home with my kids. I think if you are happy with this decision then thats all that matters.

Answer by gemgem at 4:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• kids come first, we have one shot at their childhood and to raise them and the rest of our lives to work
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If you are the sole income provider, you need to have another job lined up. It can take a LONG time to find a job in this economy, even a part time one. If you have a spouse or SO that brings in an income and you can survive without your income, then do it. Kids come first.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Your children are your first priority. And it's not as though you quit, so you will get unemployment. Especially since your basics will be provided for. Be there for your son!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 27, 2011