Pregnant - preparing for breastfeeding?

I'm in very early pregnancy with my second child. With my first, I was unable to breastfeed...partly because I guess I didn't "stick out enough." (I don't know how else to not be graphic). Also, my son is very mildly tongue tied, which I guess hinders their ability to do it, too.

Anyway, is there anything that you can do while you're pregnant to help with breastfeeding once the baby is born??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Watch the magical 'baby crawl' videos on Youtube.

I think the biggest fallacy about breastfeeding is that moms need to learn to do it --they don't, and their babies come with instincts so they don't have to learn, either. The trick is getting out of the baby's way and not overwhelming the instincts.

The second is that it is 'natural' for breastfeeding to hurt. It isn't.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Educate yourself. Get your hands on as much information as possible, get answers to any questions you might have, get to where you feel like you know what you're doing going into it. Join the Breastfeeding Moms group, someone there is bound to know anything and everything you want to know. If you have a local La Leche League chapter, you might see about attending a few meetings just to get the picture. And when you have the baby, take advantage of the lactation consultant at the hospital.

Physically, though, there's nothing you can do.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have seen breast cups that help with inverted or flat nipples, that might help. Also, getting a mechanical breast pump might help too. That way even if you're not being all that sucessful with actual breast feeding you can still give your baby breast milk. Good luck with baby #2!!!
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Talk to a lactation consultant. If you have flat nipples they can give you a shield to help the baby nurse.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The only thing really to do this early is to read read and read some more about breastfeeding. Contact your local La Leche League and see if they know of good classes or maybe attend some meetings. The tongue tie CAN make a difference, but doesn't always and if it is very mild it likely was not a bug factor in the last attempt. Make sure you have support lined up.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• im not sure? sorry
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Not that I can think of while your pregnant. I will say though that breatfeeding can hurt. So prepare yourself for that. It doen't hurt forever but it can while your body gets use to it. Its not always easy and sometimes you or your baby can have a hard time with the breast feeding at first. It seems like it should just fall in to place- sometimes it does- but not all the time. Just to say ahead of time. Keep at it... Oh yea and try Tripple Nipple cream (for sore and cracked nipples once you start feeding) that stuff is fantastic (really is)
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• They make nipple shields for women that have inverted or flat nipples. I used them at first and so did my sister. They work great. I would highly recommend giving that a try before giving up. Just a heads up lactation consultants don't like them and might tell you they aren' t a good idea because it can get the baby to used to it. I used them for about 3 months and then gradually went straight to the nipple. My baby did fine with it. Now this time around I don't think I will have a problem as my nipples have become a lot longer ( I think from the previous breastfeeding).
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• LindaClement - thank you so much. The breast crawl video was so amazing...I've been reading about it for about 45 minutes now. Probably hard to talk the people into the hospital into letting you do it the true way, but worth a try for sure! Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2011