How can social security make me pay back money I don't owe?

I have an adult nephew that is special needs. His mom was his payee and he went to prison because a girl said he tried to touch her. He is 26, but on an 11 yr old level. anyway, when he got out no one wanted to help him so i did. i got him a place to live and became his payee and paid all his bills. s.s. started taking money out of his check for over payments his mom got while he was in prison. i tried to talk to them and pointed out he was in prison, how could he owe it. they wouldn't make his mom pay it back. some guys got him drunk on the 4th of july and he went back to prison be he wasn't were he was suppposed to be. now they are making me pay the money his mom spent. he told me she bought drugs with it. i am on SSI, live alone and get 449.34 a month. they are going to take it out of my check. i have tried to get them to understand, but they said it is my responsablility. i have called , written and complained. what in the world can i do? it is almost $2,000.oo. :((

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• That does seem wrong. Keep talking with them. Sometimes the Government can be a bit slow.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Keep calling and get a lawyer, but since you became his payee I am not sure how that works. They may legally be allowed to take it. You really need to talk to a lawyer.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Time to get a lawyer.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• good answers, but i can't afford food right now. i eat cracker and peanut butter and water or tea. also, by the time i would pay a lawyer i might as well pay my ex sister in laws dept. i would have to go through the hassle. why is it druggies get away with stealing the money and i am on a fixed income, always hungry and i have pay back the money. i am crying now so i am going. thanks everyoone
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2011