I was thinking about getting a Kindle reader. But I don't know if it is a good buy. Does anyone have a Reader. And what kind would you recommend?

I want to read more and I figure maybe this will motivate me to read more often.

free1

Asked by free1 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I like the Nook. I am getting one myself. My friend was telling me we can share books that way. Anyone with a Nook can share with you and you with them.

Answer by gemgem at 4:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• LOVE my Kindle. I've had it for a year, and it's fantastic. You can get a lot of books free on Amazon as well.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If you get w kindle make sure it's the new one, the older ones aren't backlit
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• You can test and check them out at any Barnes and Noble store.... I love the idea you can buy various cases to dress them up!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I work at an independent bookstore, so as far as I'm concerned, all e-readers are evil. :) But that being said, I've looked into both the Kindle and the Nook a good bit, and I'd prefer the Nook, personally. The Kindle is very proprietary; if you get a Kindle, you're stuck with Amazon and can't get books anywhere else. With a Nook, you can have Adobe Reader files, Google e-books, etc (plenty of free ones). Nook also lets you share books with anyone who has a Nook or Nook app for computer or mobile device (which is free...Kindle has one, too). You will probably be able to "check out" e-books at the library on the Nook before the Kindle, if Kindle is ever an option, but I'm not an expert on that. The new Nook also has apps to compete more with the iPad and the like, as well as having magazine/newspaper subscriptions. The best Kindle-only feature, I think, is that it will read out loud to you.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thanks for the information. I was going to ask if either or which ones have the audio versio. You said kindle has the audio version. Do the others have this feature as well?
    Thanks again ladies.
    free1

Comment by free1 (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• As far as I've heard, only the Kindle has the audio feature so far, and I've never played with it, so I don't know how good it is (whether it's annoyingly monotone, etc.).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thanks. I think I'm getting closer to a decision. I'll keep you all posted with my choice.
    free1

Comment by free1 (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i have a Kindle. to tell you the truth the free books SUCK!! lol i was really surprised how expensive the good newer books are (10,12). i love my Kindle but i think next year i'll buy a Nook Color. i was told you can share books and also check out a book for free for a week. i can read a book in a week if its good.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Ok. Thanks for sharing. The more information I know, the better choices I can make
    free1

Comment by free1 (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2011