How do I get the gunk off the grout on my tile floor?

I tried scrubbing it with a grout brush and comet and then washing it with warm water. It took a little bit of the gunk off but not much. Does anyone have any way of cleaning grout that is sure fire to work. We rent so I really don't want to invest in the special grout paints that are out there. It was much worse when we first moved in and I have gotten it pretty white in several places.

tyandlukesmom

Asked by tyandlukesmom at 4:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Home & Garden

• They make a grout cleaner that is very harsh, you put it on, leave it then scrub it off. I do not remember the name but Walmart, HomeDepot, or Lowes probably carry it. The other option would be bleach.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• you can just use water and baking soda with an tough sponges or old toothbrush
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i'd spray with a bleach-water mix and let set overnight, if its white or light grout.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Power steamer, either with the stiff bristle nozzle or just with the plain nozzle shooting out the steam.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• make a paste with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. rub on with a toothbrush. let sit for a couple of hours

Answer by rkoloms at 4:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011