What can I do for my 1 year old's cold?

He has a runny nose but also sounds stuffed up. He has a cough and congestion.

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• At this age not much except try to make him comfortable. Breastmilk in the nose or saline and a bulb syringe are good to get the nose clean. Also try a steamy bathroom to help ease the congestion. Some people put vicks on their feet, but I have never seen that work. Make sure he stays hydrated with either breastmilk or formula/water. Let him sleep as often as he needs too and don't medicate for a fever unless it is over 101. Let the fever do it's job.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I know it sucks at this age because they took over the counter meds for babies colds off the market. However, you doctor can write a prescription for a cold/cough medication. If my son got really bad (he is 3 now) I took hijm to the doctor and they wrote a script. I told them it wasn't fair a baby had to cough like that and choke on his mucus at night. They gave it to me no problem.
    wdegroot

Answer by wdegroot at 4:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think a vaperorizer and vicks on the chest chicken noodle soup,and 1/2 orange juice,1/2 water.
    Caramel824

Answer by Caramel824 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I wl try to gv him tea with honey or lemon
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 8:08 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• if the symptoms do not subside after a few days I would call the doc. and they can prescribe medication to help give the child some relief. I had to do this for my DD a few times until she was hold enough to make over the counter medicaitons.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011