(S/O) Do you view stepmoms different then you do bio moms??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 4:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I will say though, before coming on here, I aways viewed a SM as basically a babysitter role, now that I have talked with many SMs I feel that it really varies on the family. I think a good SM plays the role she is needed for: in families that the mom isn't around, the SM is more of a mother figure, in others, she is more of special friend. I think there are vary few situations where the SM and the mom have are the same to the children though.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Only that I know stepmoms often have it quite a bit harder than bio-moms. I'm both, and being a step parent can be quite a challenge.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I don't. My half brother was raised primarily by my mom (like his bio-mom was never around) but some step-mom's are horrible. It depends on the person not the title.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 4:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I agree that every situation is different and every person is different, but when I see a stepmom I immediately feel compassion for her...I am a stepmom and know that it can be very difficult. I also have children of my own, so I'm also both.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Of course they are different. One gave birth to and in most cases raises the child and the othe married the father (or mother in same sex couples)
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I am a step mom and I feel I have less importance then my sd's bio mom... you see if I divorce her dad then my job as step mom is done versus if I was her bio-mom which that job is never over
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011