If it's not my Thyroid, then should I just give up?

I have been eating appropriately for three years. I wasn't perfect in the beginning but for the past 10 months I have cut out almost 100% of soda's and candy (have one once in a blue moon now), I have been eating properly (staying within a proper calorie, carb, fat, etc intake level set for me), eating fruits and veggies, watching everything that enters my body.

I do not have much time to excercise but I am way more physical than I used to be. That alone is more activity than I used ot get which could honestly be counted as excercise because I am sore all over a few days after activities.

I have been tested positive for Hypothyroidism before but the doctor I went to see actually refused to help me. I changed doctors and am being retested (actually went today and should get my results Thursday). This doctor said if my results come back showing I have Hyopthyroidism he will put me on medication for it.

But, after all the changes and sacrifices I've made, only to continue to gain 15-20 pounds per year for the past 3 years (I am now 70 pounds overweight - some was weight gained from my first daughter that I never lost 5 years ago)... if it isn't my Thyroid... should I honestly just give up and not care about my diet and excercise and such any longer?

Just eat what I want, when I want and such? I mean, I already feel like crap now and I'm doing what I'm supposed to. Why bother to continue to be miserable with adverse side affects?

{Yes, I am serious in asking this.}

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• Honey, if it's not your thyroid, I'd be really surprised. If you're eating healthy food, burning more calories than you take in, you should be losing weight. But a thyroid issue can throw that all out of whack. Please hang in there until you hear from your doctor.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It took 3 years for my doctor to finally agree that there was a problem with my thyroid. I had to insist on seeing an endocrinologist to get properly diagnosed and get the medication I needed. Don't give up.

Even if it turns out that the problem isn't your thyroid, your overall health is more important than just your weight. Continue to eat healthy food and exercise, NO MATTER WHAT.

BTW: You can get thyroid hormone in the form of desiccated animal thyroid from the Health Food stores. If you choose to try that, be sure that what you get is standardized (so you consistently get the same potency), and start with just a few drops a day. It takes a couple of weeks for thyroid supplement/Rx to have an effect, so be patient. If you get too much, your heart will race, so go slow. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 6:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My levels are WAY out of whack! I'm so happy I could cry! The doctor has started me on meds!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2011