Sister is also pregnant - angry about baby name choice

My older sister is also pregnant with her first child. We are two weeks apart, due in the same month.

As soon as I found out I was pregnant I asked her about baby names, but she refused to talk to me about it on two different occasions. The second time she told me that I shouldn't tell anyone my baby name choices because people will steal the name you want... which I thought was wierd for a family member to say.

My husband and I went ahead and chose a girls name, and when my sister found out, she was irate because apparently it was the same name she wanted to use. I tried to talk to her about names because I wanted to use our great-grandmothers' first name. Apparently so did she. (She wants to use both Great-Grandma's first and middle name, I just want to use her first name so that we can also honor my husband's grandmother with the middle name)

She posted her name choice on FB as soon as she found out that her baby was indeed going to be a girl. (I feel like this kind of pre-empted me... I told her what we were wanting to do before she made this announcement)

I'm not planning on finding out the gender of our baby. We're kind of hoping that it's going to be a boy so we can avoid awkwardness in this naming situation.

Should we have to pick a different girls name now because of this? Can't there be more than one person with the same name in a family? (it would just be the first name, middle names will be different, and last names are also different) I can think of lots of families that have tons of Williams, or Pauls, or whatever the family trend is.

Should I get over it and pick a new name, or should she get over it and let me name my baby what I want to (if it turns out to be a girl?) What's your opinion?

hippomom1919

Asked by hippomom1919 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Baby Names

• I hate the whole "stealing names" drama. I was pregnant with my first before my sister was ever pregnant. When she asked me what his name was going to be, we let her know that we weren't telling anyone what his name was until he was born. She said "Well, you better not name him Ryan, because that's the name I want if I ever have a boy!" She wasn't even pregnant yet! I didn't want to name my son Ryan, but what's funny is that she went on to have two sons after that, and neither of them are named Ryan. People are so weird about baby names. I was really glad we didn't tell anyone what names we picked until after our children were born and their birth certificate papers were already filled out! I say use whatever name YOU want for YOUR child, period.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The name is supposed to honor your great grandma. If you think your grandma would want you to duke it out for her name go for it. If not then save it for a middle name and honor your husbands great grandma with the first name ... if your baby even a girl.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 5:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• We have 2 lucas' in our family born 2 weeks apart. Neither of us couples knew what the other was planning on naming their little guy though and my fil and mil didn't tell either of us what the other had chosen.
    tyandlukesmom

Answer by tyandlukesmom at 5:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Keep the name!! Don't stress yourself out :)
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My mom and her sister both named their sons a year apart the same name it annoyed my mom but life went on can you switch it to a middle name then give her the other grandmas name.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Use the name you want. There is no reason that you could not have cousins Margaret Roase and Margaret Anne.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• This is how I feel about it. Who ever has their baby first gets the name.
    Or name your baby what you want. Let you sister be mad. She will get over it.

Answer by louise2 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Use whatever name you like. They will be cousins and probably won't spend all that much time together anyway.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If you love the name then who cares if your sister has it? If its truly to honor someone adn you love it then keep it. Take the higher road and either keep the name or change it. Dont give into her childlike behavior and lower yourself to her lever. My cousin has my name too. We live in diff states but it doesnt mean anything.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Name your child whatever you want to name him/her. It's not a big deal to have two people with the same name in a family.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2011