How does smoking affect our over all health and can someone stop smoking and fix their lungs by working out?

Just for a topic question :-)

thenguyenclan

Asked by thenguyenclan at 5:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• I think the only thing can fix your lungs is stopping smoking. The sooner you quit smoking the sooner your lungs will have a chance to recuperate. They will probably never be as a healthy as some one's lungs who never smoked. Working out is good for your body whether you smoke or not. I think they are two separate issues.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i just quit smoking 3 weeks ago..so i have been googling lots of this sort of stuff...and what i have found is your lungs will not get better, until you quit smoking..and even then it takes 15 years for them to be that of a non smoker..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• 15 years is a long time to wait for your lungs to return to normal. I'm sure that is not counting the number of years you have smoked either. I've just quit smoking too. I only smoked for maybe four months due to relationship problems with my ex but I'm sure it must have done some damage to my lungs.
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 3:04 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Ugh, smoking is awful in so many ways. Good for you for quitting, alexis_06! I don't know that you can completely reverse the damage to your lungs, but I'm sure they get a heck of a lot better when you stop! I think for women who smoke, knowing how it wrecks your skin, hair, nails and teeth is good motivation to quit along with the obvious health reasons.
    Cafe Kristin

Answer by Cafe Kristin at 11:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2011