Books on Atheism

I am interested in learning more about atheism as I am questioning my beliefs and want to explore other ideas.

Can any atheists recommend good books that give a clear idea of their beliefs and ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• You'd be better off reading about other religions to see if maybe you can relate rather than learning about atheism. You are an atheist if you have no belief in a god, or higher power. Period. It doesn't get much clearer than that.
    ckchisum

Answer by ckchisum at 11:02 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Yeah, thanks for that really helpful answer. But, I already know that they don't believe in God. I'm looking to see WHY they believe what they believe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• "Why Atheism"
    "Atheism, Morality, and meaning"
    "Atheism A philisophical justification"
    "The Impossibility of God"
    "The atheist Madalyn Murray o"hair"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You could always check out the selected writing at positive atheism as well http://www.positiveatheism.org/faq/faq1110i.htm

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Kristi - I think you got most of my favorites.

You may also be interested in books about humanism ("Meditations for the Humanist: Ethics for a Secular Age") or evolution ("Evolution and the Myth of Creationism").

Have fun!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Happy to help.
    jcsscfam5

• ckchisum - there is actually a lot more to it. Christianity isn't the belief in Jesus and that's it. Maybe you could check out some of the books.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• If you are coming from a Judeo-Christian background, you might want to check out "THe History of God"...its not a book on atheism, but rather where the idea of monotheism originated, and a history of how the idea of God changed/changes to reflect history and culture...which can give you lots of insight.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• The God Delusion is really popular right now.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• "Demon Haunted World" Carl Sagan
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 10:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2008