What is the best online school that has credits that will transfer to most any college or tech school?

tyandlukesmom

Asked by tyandlukesmom at 5:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• Your best bet is to find a local college/university that offers on-line classes.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I do the University of Phoenix. I love it. Here is something to consider though, in speaking with other people who have done some collegiate classes on-line and some in a brick and mortar college, the on-line courses requires much more written work than the physical classes. I am going to switch within the next year. Good luck in your endeavor!
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Totally agree with Scuba. I have taken a lot of online courses at my community college that were great and will transfer most other 2 year or 4 year schools. Plus fully online schools, like Kaplan University, for example are very expensive.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My mom attends Kaplan University. She loves it.
    Ebuttens

Answer by Ebuttens at 5:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would avoid the for profit schools like University of Phoenix and Kaplan they will cost you more and many employers will not even look at your resume if you received you degree from them.   I would contact the school you eventually want to transfer to and ask them what schools they accept credits from. 

FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 6:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• your*
    FricknFrack

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I also agree with scuba. You're going to find more and more local colleges and state universities that offer degrees that are 100% online. Plus it's about 1/4 the cost as a for profit online only school.

I would start there.

If you do decide to go to an online school make sure you do your research. Some schools are more lenient on transferring credits from them, others not so much. It's worth a few phone calls before you poor thousands of dollars into it.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011