My daughter came home from school & started saying "stupid" to us...How do I handle this before it gets way out of control?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Unfortunately you have so many negatives working against you in a situation like this. Younger children don't understand that words can be hurtful. When you send them to school, they hear all the other kids saying stuff and they pick it up. Explain to her it's a bad word, that it makes people upset (I'm assuming she's a youngin). I have found with my kids (I have 4) that when that word pops out, someone is mad (ask questions to see whats going on).... I have told the older ones I won't tolerate words like that, especially when they are downgrading someone else, the younger ones come screaming now when it's said. I told my daughter (she's 5) sometimes you will hear bad words, but what makes you a big girl is not saying them. You don't ever make someone else sad with your words. (we had an episode of name calling and I found that it worked with her for the most part). Good Luck
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Explain to her that "stupid" is a bad word, and she isn't to use it. (I don't allow my kids to use that word either).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Explain it to her once, and then have a consequence every time she does it. The quicker you stop it the better.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• you mean she was calling you stupid or saying the word stupid? its important to know the context as it makes a huge difference
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• momofone725..she called her sister stupid then called her sister's playmate who's over for a playdate stupid also!
    girliemom0406

Comment by girliemom0406 (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• oh...well in that case first i'd ask her why she was saying it as there has to be an underlying reason. explain how hurtful that word is and she will be punished if she continues to call ppl stupid. ask her if she'd like it if some1 called her that
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I tell my daughter that its not a nice word. I asked her if she wanted anyone calling her stupid and she said no. I told her no one else likes to be called that either. Now she thinks its a bad word.
    ShhhItsASecret

Answer by ShhhItsASecret at 8:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Explain to her that the word "stupid" is unacceptable to you, and you don't want to hear her using it at all. My 4 yo knows it's not okay for her to say. She'll even hear Spongebob say it, and say "Mom that's a bad word." lol
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011