Why won't he sleep?

My 5 month old wakes up three times a night and I'm so tired I'm grouchy with him and everyone else. I don't want to play with him and I sleep through his cries. I've tried putting him to bed on a later schedule. He does the same thing.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am sorry your having a hard time, I dont know how you feel about these but here are some ideas that I have done from my experience. Try putting cereal in his bottle before bed and I have read and know from experience that babies sleep better if they go to bed early like at 730-8. also try some of the bedtime lavender bathe for babies and then lotion afterwards. alot of times they are not comfortable whether it be too hot too cold, wrong position to much noise etc...I know its hard but keep working with him and remember he can sense your frustration i know its hard getting up but it will get better, also make sure about 5 he gets all his tummy time and exercise he can to wear him out. I hope this helps!
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 11:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I've tried cereal in the bottle, walker time before bed, and everything. He cries as soon as he wakes up because he doesn't want to be there. I change him in the middle of the night/early mornings so I know he has a clean diaper. His bed is in the same room and I think its doing more harm than good. Our room is next to the living room, bathroom, and kitchen(can be noisy there at times) and the spare room/his future room is upstairs so I don't want to be all the way across the house from him. I may have to switch rooms with SO's family(they live with us) so maybe he'll sleep more peacefully.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Putting a baby or child down later in the hopes that they will sleep better because they are more tired not only doesn't work, it actually has the opposite effect. An overtired child will sleep WORSE at night and will have a harder time falling asleep.

Cereal in the bottle does not keep a baby asleep. Some moms swear by it, most (like me) had no luck with it. Doctors say it's a bad idea for several different reasons. So, if you want, try it. But don't expect it to work.

Some babies calm down with a lavendar bath, some don't. It actually stimulates my little girl and on the nights I've used it, she sleeps worse. Again, try it if you want. It does have a better track record than cereal.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• What do you do when he wakes you at night? Do you feed him? Try switching him to water in one of those bottles. He won't want it and will probably cry a little. But if it is the sucking action he wants, it will help him go back to sleep and he MAY drop that wake up time. If so, try it with another wake up time. This worked for my daughter and dropped her from 3 wake ups to 1 in a week.

Sorry I don't have any "solid" advice. Every baby is truly different. All I can really suggest is to try different things - give each new thing a 2 or 3 day try before trying the next one. Every suggestion is worth trying - even the ones that don't work that well, they might work for YOUR baby. Good luck!
    kaycee14

• Also, if you think noise is the problem, consider some white noise. A portable fan on high, a CD player with a white noise CD, anything to mask noise from the house that you think won't disrupt your sleep too.
    I used "For Crying Out Loud" with my daughter. She "liked" the "car engine with wipers and rain" track. There are adult versions out there too with ocean noise, rain noise, etc.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Thank you Kaycee, I'll try some things.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:48 AM on Nov. 16, 2008