Anyone have pet insurance? Do you recommend it? How much is it?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 5:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pets

• I wish I had it before our dog passed. you have to get it before any conditions start. but rates vary from what type of coverage, basic, premium etc. I think the average was $45 a month - depends on your breed of animal and how "worth it' it could be in the long run. we had a lab at 6 months old and by the time he was 2-1/2 we spent over $5000 with allergy issues and he passed away from the Meds they gave him anyway...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• No, no, and I don't know.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• thank you Anna, that was very helpful, lol.

Maxsmom, I'm so sorry! What a sad story...
    gramsmom

Comment by gramsmom (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It's about $30/mo, and I know several people that have it. I guess you would have to figure out if you would spend more in vet bills if you didn't have the insurance, I think it really depends on the pet, you know?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• it depends on what they offer, and you really have to shop around. I cannot afford it, otherwise I would have it.
    DJLadyK

Answer by DJLadyK at 6:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes, yes, and yes. If you ever have any problems or concerns, the accounts office is really helpful.
    We used our tax return to start ours, and it is very rewarding. We still need to keep a small amount saved up for medicine, but the care is covered.
    Look up banfield and see what the options are.
    6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 6:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I don't, only because I receive a significant discount for medical services. However, I know a lot of pet owners who swear by it.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I wish we had gotten it for our last dog. She developed Epilepsy, tore both ACL's, bladder infections, side effects from the meds, and finally congestive heart failure. Between the meds and surgeries it got quite expensive.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 10:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2011