quiet times

Does anybody put their child in their bedroom for like 20-30 minutes during the day as part of their routine for a quiet time? DS is 19 mths and it seems like he needs time to calm down during the day, but doesn't know how to take it for himself. We have a babygate in his bedroom, and all of his toys are in his room, and it's absolutely childproof. Do you think it's bad to have him stay in his room and either play (or cry - not really sure how he would deal with it) for 30 minutes? BTW - he does take a 2ish hour nap in the afternoon, but I was thinking he could use a little time around 10am.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 year old does that on her own. She'll go into her room and play for a little bit while I'm cooking dinner or cleaning. She's an only child (though we're TTC) so she likes playing on her own while I'm busy doing something else.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My 4 year old has quiet time when his brother is napping. Children do need that calming down time even if it is for 30 minutes. Nothing wrong with it.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 6:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• my dd is 21 months i've never let her "calm" down.but i see nothing wrong with it.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I did that with my son when he was about 2. Most of his toys were in his room so I would tell him it was room time and set him in their for 30 minutes and put up the gate. At first he sat at the gate crying, but it didn't take long for him to realize he could play with his toys. It allowed me to shower, get some laundry done, cook, or just sit for a half hour and he could play without me worrying. I just called it room time because quiet time was my name for naps, and I wanted him to know I wasn't making him sleep, nor was he in any kind of trouble. It was just room time, and it worked out well. Now at 5 he goes into his room for "room time" on his own, he'll disappear for hours playing with his cars and trucks. It one of the best routines I ever started!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• if its totally child proof and you can stand the crying for him to get used it, i don't think it would be a bad thing. but i wouldn't let baby get too crazy crying though, it may make baby more tired in the day. but its good for alittle down time. good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2011