was this an inappropriate facebook status update?

so we're getting slammed with some pretty bad weather this evening (it's clearing up now) and anyway we had reports of a tornado. so i got on facebook and said "holy crap, tornado in the bay. incoming!!!!!" and 2 of my friends flipped out. "omg, thats not funny! im scared of tornadoes!" i was like whoa, first of all it's already way east of us and moving further east. second, i don't think tornadoes are funny either. i was just making light of the situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't think it was inappropriate at all.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• No in my opinion... People are just to sensitive!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• people need to get over themselves and realize it's YOUR fb not theirs and unless it was directed towards them (which it obviously wasn't) then they need to keep to themselves
    XaviersMama311

Answer by XaviersMama311 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• they need to chill out. you write what you want to write!
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think there will be a new sub speciality in psychology got social networks and what they do.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 6:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I don't see how that's inappropriate at all. If they didn't like it, they didn't have to pay attention to it. It's your Facebook, not yours, and you can post what you want on it.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• No! Its your page not theirs!
    tys_mama

Answer by tys_mama at 6:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I dont think it was inappropriate at all either. You can always say well I'm sorry you are scared, I just mean to try and lighten up the mood!
    DJLadyK

Answer by DJLadyK at 6:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• thanks ladies. i didnt think it was inappropriate either and it did make some of my friends laugh (which was all i was trying to do, get people to relax a bit) but some of them took it personally! we're in florida though and tornadoes are very uncommon around here so i guess its typical for some people to flip out when they hear the words "tornado watch/warning" even though it was miles away lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I know I'm the odd ball on this but I think it was an inappropriate posting. Sure, it's your FB page but you are also broadcasting on the walls to all of your friends so it's not a private statement. What you did was akin to yelling fire in a theatre which most adults know is not cool and illegal. Many people have FB hooked to their cells so it does serve as a secondary and much faster news service. In an emergency you could use FB to warn people of an actual incoming danger, like a local tornado. So, yeah, very inappropriate.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011